Chapter 8

I loved the feeling of the wind gliding through my long brown curls. I felt like a bird as I positioned a grabbling hook into the wall of a brick building. Farlan was close beside me and Levi slightly ahead, as we perused a job for one of our clients in the underground. As we were well known thugs, we were payed dearly and were assigned many more jobs than small time thugs. Having the 3DM gear was a bonus as we could complete the job quicker, so that we could take on a new one.

I soon heard the sound of two other pairs of grabbling hooks shoot into a brick, but was confused as it was neither Farlan's nor Levi's. I looked behind me to see two cloaked figures using 3DM gear. There were also several other cloaked figures behind the first two, but they were lagging behind a little.

This had happened many times prior, we had been chased by the Military Police before, but they could never catch us.

"Levi, Military close behind!" I shouted.

"You know the drill, split up." he said.

Farlan turned to his left and flew above the road as I turned to the right. Levi kept going straight. I was soon by myself as I couldn't hear anymore 3DM gear. I slowed down only to be stopped mid-air by a man in a green cloak. He pulled me down to the ground and dragged me kicking and screaming into a quiet alleyway.

"YOU BETTER PUT ME DOWN OR I WILL-!"

He pushed me to the muddy ground along with Farlan and handcuffed my hands behind my back. I looked up from the mud to see Levi being threatened at knifepoint by a man with blonde hair. He was much taller than Levi. He was also not part of the Military Police as he had the Wings of Freedom embroidered into his jacket. This would explain why they were so skilled with the gear and caught us in the first place.

"Levi!" I screamed at the sight of him.

The blonde man mumbled something loud enough for only Levi to hear which made Levi surrender. He dropped his small hand knife to the ground and held up his hands. Another cloaked man with dirty blonde hair came up behind Levi and handcuffed him before he dragged him over to Farlan and me. The dirty blonde man held Levi by his hair.

"I'm going to ask a few questions, where did you get this?" The blonde one said a she held up a handle for the 3DM gear.

"You are all very skilled with 3DM gear, who taught you all of this?" He said. None of us spoke. The blonde haired man then walked over to Levi.

"You are their leader, were you trained in the military?" He asked. Levi then looked up at the man and glared at him a cold and bored glare. The dirty blonde man then gripped Levi's hair tighter in his hands and slammed Levi's face into a puddle of dirty, brown mud.

"I'll ask you again, who taught you how to use 3DM gear?" The blonde man asked.

"Not from anyone, we learnt ourselves!" Farlan said.

"Self-taught you say. I don't buy it." The blonde man said.

"We did it so that we could make more money, people like you who live in the sunlight wouldn't understand!" Farlan argued.

"That's enough, let Levi go! Don't be cocky just because you are solders!" I spoke up for Levi as his face was still in the mud.

The dirty blonde man then lifted Levi's head out of the mud and the blonde man walked towards him and knelt down.

"My name is Erwin Smith, and yours is?" The blonde man said. Levi faced Erwin.

"Levi" He said.

"Levi, why don't we make a deal? I will let your crimes go unpunished. In return, you lend me your strength. Join the Survey Corps." He said with a serious tone. Levi's eyes widened and so did Farlan and I's.

"And if I refuse?" Levi said.

"The military Police will have you, considering all of your crimes, you and your friends won't be treated very nicely." He said as he stood up.

"Choose whichever you prefer." Erwin said. After about four seconds of silence Levi spoke up.

"Fine, I will join the Survey Corps." Levi said as he whipped his head sideways to get rid of any loose mud. Erwin smiled a creepy, yet triumphant smile as he had just successfully blackmailed us into joining the Survey Corps.

We were taken away by Erwin and the other men to a carriage, and were escorted to a building full of men and woman in uniforms. We were shown a room in which we would sleep, but I had to sleep in the girl's quarters. We were handed uniforms with the Wings of Freedom printed on the sleeves and the backs. We also had to figure out how to do up the straps, as there were many different brown, leather belts that went around our legs and torso. We were shown our squad leader, whose name was Flagon Darlett, and were soon ready to begin training with the rest of the Survey Corps.

Levi showed off his god moves with the 3DM gear and sliced through the nape of a cut-out titan on his first go. Most were very impressed, but Flagon just rolled his eyes.

The initiation was soon complete and it was time for me to head to the girl's quarters for some rest. I hadn't made any friends yet as I was dubbed 'underground scum' or 'that thug girl'. I was an outcast, but least I had Levi and Farlan to keep me company during the day time. I just hoped that Levi wouldn't get any nightmares while I wasn't there, or he wouldn't get any sleep at all.

I head hit the pillow with a soft thump. This reminded me of the orphanage, as this room was such a hostile and bare place. The sheets were white and rough and the pillows smelt used and dirty. I couldn't help but wonder what Levi was thinking at that moment, as the dorms weren't very clean at all.

I closed my eyes and was soon fast asleep.