Chapter 15

I woke up in a cold sweat as this was the day that would prove if I was a worthy soldier, the day that I would live or die. After a quiet morning at breakfast and a kiss from Levi followed by a hug from Farlan all of the soldiers that served in the Survey Corps were escorted to the wall entrance to be put into the formation. Our squad, Farlan, Levi, me, and a couple of other guys in addition to our squad leader, were put off to the right side of the formation. Flagon Darlett told us that we were in one of the most dangerous positions as if any titans came our way, we had to inform the inner formation of it with flares and then kill the titan ourselves. In other words, we were to be the first killed if anything went not according to plan.

This aspect made me more nervous than before, but I held myself together as I had to be strong. I had to stay alive for myself and all of the people I loved.

After about an hour of speeches from all of the top ranked commanders, the gates were lifted and the first half of the formation charged out into the titan infested field. I was soon ordered, along with my squad to go forward. I gently kicked my horse, Jeano (A/N lol), as to not hurt him but to get him moving.

One step, two steps, three steps, and I was beyond the walls that I had been caged in for fifteen long and hard years. The blazing sun hit my skin and the wind blew through my hair. As nice as it was, I was terrified for the hours to come, to face the titans that once took the lives of the people that I loved the most.

Soon the whole formation had made it outside the walls and we were travelling at full speed towards the God knows where. The formation remained tight for about forty-five minutes before a five metre class titan appeared on the left. A green flare was fired and five soldiers charged toward the titan and took it out effortlessly with a co-ordinated plan of attack. The soldiers soon came back and rode along with the rest of us.

I found it amazing that they could just do that without freaking out or having second thoughts. I guess that's what it is to be a soldier. We kept riding before another titan came into view beside us and two more behind us. Most of the formation was now broken and there was green smoke in the sky. Three men from our squad including Levi went to take out the titan to the right while most of the back formation was divided to defeat the two twelve metre class coming up the rear.

As Levi left, he blew me a discrete kiss and then forced a grabbling hook into a tree behind the titan. He flew through the air effortlessly and quickly as to not be caught by the hands of the titan itself. He flew towards the nape and just before he was about to kill it, some more titans appeared from the patch of trees behind. There must have been around five, all ten metre class.

Commander Erwin decided to get involved when he noticed the heads of the creatures over the trees. Levi sliced through the nape and killed the titan before returning to his horse.

"Levi, you are to go with the soldiers around you and take out the titans behind the trees, got it?" He said.

"Yeah whatever" Levi replied and turned his back to me and Farlan to go off behind the trees.

"Flagon, you and the rest of your squad are to fall back and take out the titans coming towards us now." Erwin instructed while pointing to three titans that had just appeared behind the broken formation.

This was my time to fight, give it everything I had. I used the reins of my horse to turn him around and so did the rest of my squad including Farlan. We rode towards the back of the formation while our comrades pasted us with worried eyes.

I forced a grabbling hook into the trunk of a tall tree and flew up into a branch, ready to attach myself onto the neck of a titan and slice its nape just as I had been trained to do. A ten metre class titan began to walk past the tree and I used this as an opportunity to strike. I hooked its neck and pulled myself into its shoulder. I had to do it now. There was no turning back. I took out my blades and dragged them through the thick skin of the titan. It soon fell with a loud thud and smoke began rising from the rotting corpse. I did it. I finally took one out, a real one. I could now call myself a soldier.