Chapter 6

Three days had gone by since Levi dropped me off at the orphanage and all I could think about was him. How his black hair slightly covered his eyes, his deep chuckle, and his small stature. I was praying that my group would get playground clean-up, so that I could walk to the underground to see him in the day time. My prayers were finally being answered. My group was assigned the job that I had been waiting for.

After I washed my breakfast dishes, I sprinted off to collect a broom and a polishing cloth. When the playground was spotless after about forty minutes due to my rocket speed, I quickly walked to the entrance to the orphanage and stepped outside.

Hanji had begged to come with me, but I said no as I didn't want her scaring Levi with her titan banter.

I didn't stop to admire the stalls, instead I quickly passed them and walked toward the alleyway in which the staircase was situated. I trotted down the stairs at a more controlled pace as to not fall, and passed the guards. I offered them a smile, but it seemed as though they hadn't forgotten the morning three days prior and where still holding a grudge. The one that first look on Levi was sitting behind the rest of them on a crate with a bandage on his wrist.

I turned around a kept walking at a steady pace, memorising the buildings as I went so that I could remember them. I soon saw a building with a double staircase that looked familiar. My pace quickened and I ran up the stairs. I walked to the door on the left and knocked continuously. I soon heard an annoyed grunting sound then followed by a faint 'come in'. I turned the handle and pushed the wooden door open.

Levi was sitting at the dining table with a cup of what I assumed was tea. He was holding it strangely as his fingertips were grasping the lip of the mug instead of the handle as it was intended to be held. Farlan was sitting on the opposite side of the table eating an apple. He greeted me with a grin and waved. Levi managed a subtle smile before taking a sip of his tea and gesturing to sit down. I took his offer and sat on the chair beside him.

He set his mug on the table and looked at me.

"So you want to learn self-defence Mia?" He said with a serious tone.

"Yes please!" I said with a less serious tone.

"Okay, but firstly, I need to finish my tea and secondly, this is a serious matter, so I need your full attention and dedication." he said.

"Yes sir!" I saluted him. He merely rolled his eyes as I had just messed up the whole 'serious thing' by calling him sir, but he didn't seem to mind too much. He ruffled my hair and stood up to wash his cup.

He took me to a larger room in the house that I hadn't seen before. For a guy who lives in the underground, this house was pretty spacious. He drew a hand knife from his belt and sat it on a small table. He opened the drawer of the table and took out two harmless wooden knives.

"These are for your training, as I don't want to have to clean up blood." He said. I nodded in understanding and took one of the knives from his bruised hand. Levi must've gotten into many fights because his hands were always bruised and cut. I could only imagine the damage under his clothes. Then again, they may not be from fighting, he may just be a little clumsy or play fight with the dog in the house next door.

Levi taught me a strong stance that consisted of putting your right leg in front of your left and slightly bending it to stay balanced. He also taught me how to hold a knife. Levi had a weird way of holding knives, as I had never seen it before. He said to hold the blade backwards, so there is less strain on the wrists and so that I could cut through things using the rotation of my body. I didn't question his methods and held the knife the way he taught me and it was surprisingly easy. Of course I never beat him in a pretend duel, but he said I was getting better.

He kept telling me I was getting better for the next three years. It was a week after my fifteenth birthday when I finally beat Levi in a duel.

I was now close friends with Levi and lived in his house after the orphanage through me out for visiting the underground so frequently. I still kept in contact with Tom and talked with him at least once a week. I hadn't seen Hanji for one and a half years. I asked Tom about it and he said that she just got up and left one day without telling anybody what she was doing or where she was going.

I worried about Hanji sometimes as she was the closest friend I had ever had apart from Levi and Farlan.

I still hadn't told Levi that I liked him as I was scared that I would ruin our friendship. I was now a fully-fledged thug along with Farlan and Levi. One year earlier we got our hands on 3DM gear, so that we could get around the underground faster. We never got caught as we were the best around even though we were self-taught. The Military Police could never catch us.

Levi was now eighteen, but was still the same old Levi. He had the tough demeanour toward other people, even with his height (I still was about four inches shorter than him), but was kind around Farlan and I. He liked the fact that he was taller than me because he could still look down at me. He still styled his hair into an undercut and carried a knife with him at all times.

"Well done Mia, it took you a while, but you finally beat me." He said after I pinned him against a wall and held the wooden knife to his throat.

A smile overtook me face as my self-defence training with Levi was now over. When we first started training he told me that the day I beat him in a duel was the day I would graduate. This was the first time I had accomplished something on my own and I was feeling quite good about myself. I through the knife on the floor and hugged Levi.

"Thank you Levi." I mumbled into his shirt.

"You're welcome Mia." he said.

I let go of Levi and looked at the clock that hung above the door frame. It was about time to go to bed as we had already eaten dinner two hours beforehand.

"Good night Levi!" I said cheerfully as I walked towards my room.

"Night" He responded and followed me down the hall to his room.

When I moved into Levi's house, he gave me the large room beside his that had a connecting door in the wall, so that he could keep an eye on me. Because I was a little younger than him, he felt he needed to look after me, but I always insisted that I was fine and that I could handle myself.

If anybody needed looking after, it was Levi. He always came off as an unemotional asshole, but was in fact, one of the most emotional humans I had ever met. He always had nightmares so I would always walk into his room through the connecting door and comfort him until he calmed down. Once he was fast asleep again, I would wonder back into my own bed.

I never told Levi that I did this as he liked being the one who protected me.

I opened my door and slipped into the sheets of my bed. I shut my eyes and was soon sleeping like a baby.