0: before the end

*unedited*

              Flashing lights.

              Screams.

              Blood.

              It was everywhere, they were everywhere, police rushing to the crime at hand, two bodies lying on the grass dead. I couldn't help but watch the scene unfold right in front of my eyes. My body wouldn't let me turn away, I was trapped, frozen in place.

               "So!" My brother exclaimed causing me to jump and throw my popcorn all over the freshly vacuumed carpet. "How was it?"

               "Oh, my days Gee, don't scare me like that!" I shouted scurrying on the floor trying to pick up all the pieces of popcorn that lay scattered.

               "Sorry..." He said sheepishly as he scratched the back of his head nervously, "I just wanted to know if you finished watching my movie yet?" He asked as I picked myself up off the floor putting the pieces of popcorn into the bowl before placing it onto the table and dusting myself down. I looked over towards the television to see that the end credits had just started to roll causing me to let out a much-needed aggravated sigh.

               "If you had just given me five more minutes it would've been over!" I snapped. Every time, he does this every time, you would think that my brother would have learnt by now but no. He hasn't. It isn't much of a surprise to me though, he isn't the sharpest tool in the box if you get what I mean.

               "Ah, well the murderers were dead under the stairs, they decided that killing their selves together was a better option than facing the idea of separation in two different prisons, hating the idea of never seeing each other again. It's kind of poetic when you think about it really," Greg said jumping over the sofa making sure to grab a hand full of popcorn and throw it into his mouth as he did so.

               "That's been all over the floor dumb ass." I deadpanned.

               "And? Gives it more flavour." He said snatching the bowl from the table and shovelling more into his mouth. I pulled a disgusted face as I gave him a disapproving look.

               "You're disgusting." He just replied with a popcorn filled smile which just made me let out a small chuckle, I couldn't help myself. "But seriously Gee, that was amazing! Tell me again why you don't think you're good enough?" I asked with genuine curiosity lace in my voice. I was bewildered as too why he didn't understand his potential, he was so talented. I mean, I was literally on the edge of my seat.

              He just shrugged as he chewed on more popcorn before gulping it down before speaking, "I don't know, I just don't think I am. There's a difference between acing all your classes and actually making it in the world. I just don't think I have what it takes." He said nonchalantly and if I'm being honest, it hurt. It hurt to see him think like this.

               "You will Gee, just you wait. I'll be there, front row of every film you create, and I'll tell them all that this was your film, that you're my brother and I've never been prouder in my life, I will never have a prouder moment in my life then that moment." I exclaimed causing him to chuckle.

               "Thanks Fletch, I can always count on you," He said before jumping up off the sofa and bringing me into a tight embrace, I returned the gesture and let out a small sigh before pushing him away in sudden realisation of the time.

               "Now hurry, you're going to be late for your show!" I said causing him to look at his watch. He cursed under his breath and ran up the stairs throwing on one of his nicer suits for the premier of his final piece. I love seeing him like this, happy because he's doing something he loves.

              Ever since mom died twelve years ago he's never been the same. I was only four at the time so I didn't really understand, I still know her in memory but any knowledge I have of her is faint whereas my brother was eleven, he matured very quickly because he needed too, he had too look after me while dad took mom to the appointments and when she died it hit us all hard but Greg, it broke him.

              He never left his room and cried himself too sleep every night, by the age of sixteen he was getting drunk and doing all kinds of different drugs. It stopped him from moving forward, from making something of himself. It ended with him failing class and having to stay behind for three years. It took dad those three years to finally snap, too force Gee to get his life together otherwise he's have no choice but to make him leave and send him to his grandparents, he told him to sort himself out for mom's sake, that's what did him. Ever since then he's been so much better, and I couldn't be prouder to call this man my brother.

              I thought of all the events leading up to this moment as he ran down the stairs hastily as he tried to be on time for his first year of college final. He raced out of the door but as quickly as he left he was right inside again," You forgot something Gee?" I laughed as he frantically looked around the lounge.

               "My keys," He hurried out as he started looking under the sofa, he's so nervous he forgot where he's put them. I laughed internally before clearing my throat to get his attention.

               "What Fletch?" He asked annoyed as he started flipping the cushions. I pointed to the kitchen side causing him to stand up and slowly walk towards them before coolly putting them in his pocket in an attempt to make it look like nothing had ever happened. He made his way back over too me and gently placed a kiss on my forehead.

               "Thank you sis, I love you."

               "I love you too Gee, now go! I'll see you later, you'll smash it!" He gave me a tight smile which I return and then left.

              Little did I know that I wouldn't be seeing him later that night nor any other night for that matter because as he was driving to his big night some drunk driver ran through a red light, colliding into his car.

              There weren't any survivors.