thirty

Unedited

Daniel POV

She was here and she was safe. Lying in my arms with light snores is the girl I swore to protect. I took a glance at the small digital clock behind her and looked at the time 5:23 am. Sleep hadn't been my friend tonight, not like it was any other night either, but with Sadie by my side, I usually sleep a bit longer.

After you know the things I've seen, you wouldn't be able to sleep either. Innocent souls haunt my dreams, twisting them, turning them into a disarranged nightmare only for me to wake up to remember this is actually my life. I didn't want that for her, I didn't want to burden her with my own problems. Too much has happened to her in this lifetime and she didn't deserve any of it.

I use my free hand to reach around S, making sure to be gentle. The past few days have been a lot for her to take in. She's needs as much rest as she can get, even if it's only a few hours. Once I know I've manoeuvred around her successfully, I shuffle my hand around the table to find the device that I'm looking for.

As soon as my phone was in my grasp, I brought it back over S before unlocking it and messaging Shawn.

Me: We'll be over at 10:30.

Whilst waiting on a reply from him, I checked through my other messages but came up short of anything with any importance. Just a few messages from Robert telling me to report back to him, which I had ignored and continue to ignore every day. I didn't want to talk to him, nor did I want to. He's only checking to make sure his precious plan is going how he wants it too, but he already knows the answer is no he just doesn't want to believe it.

The buzzing from my phone brought me out of my limbo, Shawn: Yh bro, you bringing Sadie?

Me: Yeah man.

Shawn: See you both later.

I didn't bother replying to him, instead, I carefully lock my phone in a futile attempt to not wake Sadie up but, the small noise was enough to make her stir and I knew she would wake up now.

Groggily, she turned her head towards me, small groans leaving her mouth as her eyes tried to find me, "Morning." She yawned at me.

"Morning princess," I replied, giving her a swift kiss on the forehead. A sigh of contentment leaving her as he body visibly loosened.

"How long have you been up for?" She questioned, her eyes looking at the clock seeing it was only 5:46 am.

"Not long, only about 20 minutes. I messaged Shawn to let him know we'll be over at half 10." I told her, my fingers automatically finding there way to her hair and she laid her body back down onto mine, fitting perfectly against me. Feelings going through my chest that I didn't know were possible until Sadie found her way into my fucked up life and started changing everything that I believed in.

She just hummed a response of agreement until she sat up suddenly and swore abruptly. I sat myself up on my elbows and watched her, slight panic went across her face.

"What day is it?" She asked.

"Sunday, why?" I replied, confused with the significance of the day.

"I have work today, eleven till seven. I completely forgot, with everything going work didn't cross my mind." She rushed.

"I'll message Shawn to see if we can come earlier before I drop you off," I resolved for her, the less she panics the better. Her anxiety already takes the reigns, I don't want to make anything worse for her, all I want is for her to be okay.

"Thank you," she smiles before kissing my cheek, my skin burning from her touch. She only needs to hover beside me and my body feels electric, every nerve is put on edge and all I want is her close to me. I am falling for this girl and she has no idea how hard I'm going down.