eight

*unedited*

               "So, what you're saying is you need the weekend off because you're socialising," Oli questioned as he plated up the last of his order.

               "Yes." I replied

               "You, Sadie Fletching, are actually seeing other people outside of this building?" Oli continued to mock as his voice filled with disbelief.

               "I do have a life you know," I scoffed as I reached for the plates he dished up.

               "I'm not doubting you but I've also never seen it," he accused as he pointed at me with his greasy spatula. I batted it out of my face and watched some of the drips land onto his freshly mopped floor.

              I have him a sheepish smile as I watched his mouth gap as though he couldn't fathom what I had just done, "First you tell me you have friends and now you're dirtying my floor. Who are you and what have you done with my Sadie?" He exclaimed but I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle at his little outburst.

              "I promise I'll come in on Monday to make up for not being here over the weekend," I pleaded, to be honest I didn't know why I was trying so hard. I guess I just didn't want to let Rylee down.

               "You don't need to try and bargain a deal S, I know how hard you work. Of course, you can have the weekend off, if anything you deserve it. Just run it by Lacey before you leave." I gave him a thankful look before turning around and delivering the food to the designated tables.

               "One egg and bacon special and one lasagne," I said as I placed the food down in front of the correct customers. The older men gave me a curt nod before going back to their previous conversation.

              I hastily turned around not wanting to pry and made my way over to where Lacey was cleaning tables at the back of the Diner. I put a sweet smile on my face before I approached her.

               "Lacey?" I asked, getting her attention. She lifted her head up from the small table she was cleaning and looked in my direction. As soon as her eyes fell on my face a soft smile spread across her lips. I watched as she stood up, putting the cleaning products down onto the table and patting the dirt off of her pinafore.

               "Are you okay Sadie? Is there something you need?" She asked sweetly, giving me her full attention.

               "Actually yes, I have already asked Oli and he said it was okay but he asked me to run it by you too. I guess, I mean I was just wondering if I was able to have this weekend off?" The words tumbled out of my mouth, I was surprised that Lacey understood any of it if I'm being honest. I don't think I even understood it.

              Lacey nodded slowly as she processed my words and a huge smile spread across her face, "Oh of course you can darling, I thought you'd never ask! You're young and we still want you to enjoy yourself and not get stuck in the habit of working constantly." She tugged me into a tight embrace as she spoke to me, happiness was clearly in her voice.

               "But what if there is no one to cover?" I asked, this was my only option left of getting out of going to this party and I was going to take it. Usually girls would have to ask their parents but, unfortunately, I didn't have that problem. This was as close to parents I would get.

               "Don't be silly, I'm sure we can manage without you for one weekend." She laughed as she looked into my eyes, "I just want you to go and have fun, you deserve it."