twenty-six

Unedited

              The few days passed by in a blur and before I knew it I was back at my five til late shift at the diner on a cold fall evening. With Halloween passing 2 days ago, the streets were filled with teenagers dressed in skimpy outfits and half drank bottles of liquor as they go to parties scattered over the weekend. I, was not one of them nor do I ever want to be one of them.

              Rylee had tried to pester me to join her in another party escapade but there's only so much I can take in a week. Being the third wheel at a party with her and James was not on my agenda. I made up an excuse about missing few too many shifts now and Oli needs me back. It was a lie. Oli didn't care, Oli just wanted me to be happy but it was my own guilt of bailing that was eating me alive.

              With the clock slowly ticking away, time was not on my side tonight. I wasn't looking forward to the walk home tonight, with rowdy teenagers roaming the streets it was inevitable someone would try and talk to me. I briefly scan the room before my eyes find Lacey sat at one of the tables with her papers scattered across it. She looked focused as she scribbled down more figures and notes.

              I walked over to her quietly, cautious not to sneak up on her and make her jump. Oli was busy cooking the orders that had racked quite high and I didn't want him to lose concentration and burn them. Lacey sensed someone was approaching and looked up from her paperwork, a small smile graced her lips as I got closer.

              "I'm sorry to bother you Lace, I just wanted to ask a favour." I spoke, the smile never leaving her lips.

              "Don't be silly Sadie, no matter how big or small, never apologise for coming up to me. You are my number one priority." She smiled; her voice was so sweet. It often made me wonder if this is what my mom would've been like, so kind and gentle. I brought myself out of the daydream before I let myself sink too far.

              I laughed lightly at her statement, "I was wondering if I could just message someone to come pick me up."

              Lacey's smile broke out into a full grin, "Of course you can. How about you leave a little early tonight. Shayna is here until the close with us anyway, you're just an extra body."

              "Are you sure Lacey? I don't mind sta-"

              "I'm sure S. You work so hard, I'm happy you're finally doing things and meeting new people. You're like a daughter to me, and to Oli. How are those grades doing?" She questions, raising an eyebrow in anticipation of my answer.

              I hung my head low and kept quiet. I can't lie to Lacey, she sees right through me, they both do. They're my family.

              "Promise me Sadie, you'll bring them up. I know it's hard with everything going on with you at home but just remember we're always here for you. If you need anything just come to us, we'll always have open arms for you." I managed to contain the tears I felt welling in my eyes although, she could probably tell I was holding them back.

              I bent down and gave her a hug, "Thank you," I breathed as I released her from the embrace.

              "No need, now you go. Let Oli know I've sent you home and I'll see you on Sunday." She said, I gave her a smile and a nod before walking back to the kitchen and letting her finish with her paperwork.

              I slid under the till point to where Shayna was, "Where are you going?" I heard her nasally voice ask. I never have like her, but I put up with her for Lacey's sake. I know Oli does the same. She is a follower, meaning whatever Jenny does she has to do because it clearly is means it's in now and thinks she'll look stupid if she doesn't copy. Jenny doesn't give her the time of day, but Shayna believes one day they'll be best friends.