fifteen

Unedited

Homecoming.

The one word every teenage girl loves to hear, unless you are me then it is one of the words I least look forward to hearing, along with party, shopping and moist.

As it, sort of, falls in line with Halloween this year our homecoming committee have come up with a masquerade ball, you can tell originality flows through their veins, cough cough. If you couldn't tell, I was not one for these dances. I never have been and now with the events of my life falling how they have, I could think of thousands of things better to do with my time.

Did I mention it was this Friday?

Unlike me, Rylee loved these dances, saying we should go as the memories we create will be one of a kind. When I tell her all memories are one of a kind she throws a dismissive hand in my face and pretends I've never spoken.

"You have to go, it's our final year! What will you tell your kids when it's time for their Homecoming? 'Oh, I was too boring to go to mine,'" Rylee mocked as we walked down the halls to the cafeteria. I hated how we only had one lesson and lunch together, it felt as though I hardly got to see her now.

"No, I will simply tell them that dances were never something I was interested in," I replied.

"What if Daniel asked you to go?" She asked suggestively, I knew the blonde had a few screws loose but I clearly didn't know the severity of her situation. I chocked on the air at her statement.

"Why would he do something like that?" I said, coughing still, part of the aftermath.

"Well, he clearly has a thing for you." She spoke with certainty. That's it, she's lost her mind.

"Based on what facts? He's just a...friend?" I made it more of a question than a statement, I didn't know what he was but I couldn't tell Rylee he was protecting me from some unknown creep who had a photograph problem. I couldn't put her in danger like that.

"Friend-" she laughed, "Daniel is as much your friend as Logan is mine," she continued, laughing as we entered the room full of loud Seniors.

"I wish Logan wasn't anything," I muttered, more to myself than Rylee but she still heard giving me a quick slap on my arm before taking a tray from the rack and proceeding down the food line, picking up a ham salad sandwich and a bottle of apple juice before getting to the old lady who was patiently waiting for us at the end.

After paying for our lunch, we made our way over to our usual spot, next to the window.

"You know, I heard Sam is back in town." Rylee said lowly, briefly looking up at my reaction before looking back down at her sandwich. I felt my body freeze up at the mention of his name. A name I hadn't heard in months.

"Who told you?" I demanded, a hurt feeling developed in my chest from finding out the information from Rylee and not him.

"I'm sorry S. Logan told me that he came back the other night, saying that he has to do work experience for a semester with engineering and electronics to pass part of his course. And because they're dad owns a company based on that, he's come home to do it." Rylee rushed, her sympathetic eyes staring at me as they eye up my reaction.