twenty-nine

Unedited

The boys had turned up within the hour and were parked a few blocks down as Daniel instructed earlier. We couldn't have Sam catching wind of what we were doing and with him being my neighbour, hiding everything out of sight was becoming a challenge.

Daniel was pacing around the lounge, half-hazardly as he spoke to Shawn on the phone. His eyes were beginning to sink in and all shape to his hair had gone, he was exhausted but refused to rest. Hours had gone by while Shawn and Daniel had been on the phone, they were using a secure line that Evan had hooked them up with using the tech in the van. I have yet to see this van though, Daniel refuses to leave my side and going to the van is too dangerous in case I get seen.

Instead, Levi came to my door disguised as a pizza delivery guy and when I gave over the cash, hidden underneath was the stick. A small sleight of hand movement that no prying eyes would be able to see from a far. So now we just sit and wait for the magic to be done, well...more like I'm sitting and waiting whilst Daniel is ranting and pacing.

I look up from the stool, at the kitchen island I was sat on, to check the time on my phone. I pressed the button on the side of the small metal sheet and noticed only five minutes went by since I last looked making it twenty-five to eight at night. I let out an un-ladylike groan that didn't even make Daniel flinch before deciding that enough was enough, I needed attention.

I jumped off my stool and into the open plan lounge area where Daniel still had the device pressed against his ear, "What do you mean there's another encryption code? I thought you managed to get through the last two?"

There was a moment of silence as Daniel listened to Shawn's reply. In the silence, I got closer to him, stopping in front of him so I could put an end to his pacing.

"I understand that the information is delicate, but we need it now. Is there any way to make this go quicker?" Daniel paused as he listened, his eyes finding my own. He was drained, I knew he was and so did he, but he still pushed himself for my sake. The idea of him doing all this for me made my heart swell but I can't read further into it, I won't. All this happening around me right now is a distraction, because I fear that as soon as this is over me and Daniel will go back to pretending neither of us exist.

I tell myself not to get to attached but I know it's already too late for me. I'm falling and falling hard even though I'm almost certain it will end in me crashing to the ground, trying to put myself back together again.

I must've been lost in thought for longer than I realised because when I came back around, Daniel was off the phone and was giving me a very questioning look.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, breaking our silence.

"What do you mean?" I responded, trying to play it off cool like I wasn't about to just spiral out of control on a thought tangent about our 'relationship' or whatever you could call it.

"You have this face, when you're deep in thought. You pout your lips slightly and your left eye will twitch every few seconds, sometimes your pout will turn into a full-blown frown. Your face was just doing it, so I ask again. What were you thinking about?" I was slightly taken a-back by his words. I guess I didn't realise how much he pays attention to me.

"It's nothing. Just wondering why they're so many walls they must break through to see what's on the stick. I mean, I get Gee needed to protect this information but, if I didn't have your help, I would have no idea how to open it." I replied, now was not the time for a discussion about our relationship or lack thereof.