twenty-two

Unedited

Daniel didn't come to school the next day. I didn't expect him to either. He never turned up to pick me up this morning. Even though Rylee had already planned to come, I never told Daniel not to bother and that's what hurt more.

The day passed agonisingly slow, it felt almost never ending. Sat in lessons, constantly watching the clock hoping that if I watch the hands slowly tick there's a chance it might go that little bit faster. Obviously, I knew that wouldn't happen but it was the only thing that kept my focus so I didn't drift to the thoughts of Daniel and last night.

I struggled sleeping last night, not even the pills helped. I still laid awake in my bed, tears willingly leaving my eyes as I let everything out. Rylee was wrong, he did leave and it hurt ten times worse then it did with Sam and I have no idea why.

I stayed up so late I could hear my father stumble through the front door and that just made me cry harder. What has my life come to? I cried as he tripped up the stairs and let of a string of slurred curses. I cried as I heard him stop outside my door, knowing he could hear me but I didn't care. I was hurting and this is how I coped.

I cried as I heard my father press his hand against the door and when I heard the softness of his voice on the other side, "I'm sorry I failed you." I wailed. I knew he wouldn't come in to protect me and tell me everything would be okay. He just left and continued down to his room, leaving me like everyone else.

I was now sat in my last lesson of the day, music. Something that I usually loved and was so passionate about meant nothing to me right now. As I sat at the piano, my mind was clouded with emptiness.

             "What's wrong Sadie?" The sweet voice of Mrs. Cole spoke as she took the seat next to me.

              "Nothing," I lied, not making eye contact because I just knew I'd break.

              "Now, I don't think that's quite true." She replied, her fingers casually dancing along the keys creating a subtle melody.

              "It doesn't matter, life goes on." I said harshly but Mrs.Cole didn't seem taken back by my sudden outburst.

              "When I usually feel lost or stuck in a place I can't get out of, I write about it. I create a song, even if I feel terrible and feel as though it won't get better I know I have created something beautiful out of it." She said, the soft melody still playing in the background and as it did lyrics and phrases started coming to my head. Riffs and idea's flowing from my mind to my hand as I scribbled them down on a piece of paper.

              Mrs. Cole gave me a small smile before pushing herself out of the seat, "Thank you." I smiled as I rushed to take more notes.

              I stayed like that until the end of class, focused and channeling all of my emotions into the music. I was kind of upset that it was over. I had finally pushed myself to get out of my depressed hump for me to just go back into it as soon as I meet up with Rylee.

              Speaking of Rylee, I could see her waiting by her locker of me, flashing me a huge grin of excitement before running up to me.

              "Homecoming time!" She giggled, looping her arm around mine as we walked to the parking lot.

              "Is it too late for me to back out now?" I questioned.

              "Yes! Now come on, I need to begin my masterpiece." Ry snapped before getting into her car with me swiftly following after.