29

I wake up in the dark, unsure of what time it is as I sit up and stretch out my arms. I slept horribly, my dreams constantly being filled with visions of green eyes and dark, curly hair no matter how hard I tried to fight them off. I feel around my nightstand for my phone, eventually finding it and turning it on, trying to tune out the buzzing sound from all the new notifications I've gotten. I avoid them completely and focus on the time, beyond thankful that it's already 5:30am.

Getting out of bed, I immediately make myself coffee and turn my music up loud, drowning out my thoughts as I go to take a shower. I turn on the water as hot as it can possibly go, hoping the sting will somehow distract me from the pain I'm already feeling. It doesn't work, though. I don't think anything could. I take my time, not really doing much other than staring off into nothing until the water gets cold, continuing to stand in there even after I turn the water off.

I feel pathetic.

I've gone through worse than this before, so why am I taking this harder than any other breakup, including the one that broke off my freaking engagement?

I know why, but I can't admit it. Not right now, anyways.

I get ready and sit around until it's time to go to work, sipping my coffee and watching the time go at a glacial pace. When it's finally time to leave, I don't bother checking to see if I look okay before heading out the door. Reaching the bottom floor, I take a deep breath before stepping outside, remembering how Harry and I had stood in this very lobby after trying to escape the rain before he came upstairs.

That night was perfect.

He was perfect.

Why did he have to ruin everything?

I walk slow, feeling annoyed that the humidity has decided to make an appearance this early. The crowded sidewalks aren't any more or less busy than usual. The same business people pushing past everyone to make it to work on time, the same parents or nannies taking their kids to the park, the same tourists stopping every couple of yards to take pictures. Everything is how it should be, everything except for me.

When I step into my office building, Jeremy and Ava greet me with warm smiles and a large cup of coffee. They don't say anything, knowing that I'm in zero mood to talk as we ride the elevator to get to our floor. I sit down at my desk, noticing a few post-it notes from my two amazing friends, telling me how much they love me. Collecting the notes and sticking them on the wall of my cubicle, I get to work, trying to focus on my job and not about the fact that the wedding is this weekend, meaning that I have to face Harry again much sooner than I am ready to.

By the end of the workday on Thursday, I'm completely checked out. I don't work tomorrow since the rehearsal dinner is tomorrow night and in the morning I have to go to the museum to help my sister set up for the wedding, which right now I couldn't be more thankful for. Knowing that Harry won't be there to help set up will give me a chance to actually focus on my sister and her big day without my emotions getting in the way, hopefully.

Chloe hasn't really said much about Harry and I. I'm guessing because she knows that an 'I told you so' is the last thing I need to hear right now. She called a few times and sent a few texts over the past few days, making sure I'm fine and still functioning like a proper adult, which I guess I am, I don't really know.

I say my goodbyes to Jeremy and Ava, receiving sympathetic hugs in return before I head for the elevators. When I get downstairs and step outside into the warm, summer air, my phone starts buzzing and I jump, praying to god that it isn't who my mind instantly thought of. Nervously digging my phone out of my purse, Chloe's name appears on the screen and I relax, continuing to walk while bringing the phone to my ear.

"Em, I need a favor," Chloe says before I even have a chance to say hello.

"Okay, what's up?" My shoulders immediately tense, knowing that no matter what I won't have a choice but to do what she asks. Especially with me being so absent all week, probably the most important week as far as the wedding goes, it's the least I can do.

"I need you to go to the craft store to get a few last minute things for the wedding. I sent you a text with the list of things I need, and I mean it when I say that I need these things, so you can't forget a single one, got it?"

I sigh, feeling frustrated at her parental sounding tone and trying my hardest to remember that the biggest day of her life is in two days, so I just need to suck it up.

"Yeah, sure." My voice is dry and emotionless, just like it has been all week when I'm not trying to keep from crying. Chloe doesn't seem to notice, though, and if she does, she certainly doesn't give a shit.

"Okay, great. See you in the morning." With that, she promptly hangs up the phone and I turn around to begin the five block walk in the opposite direction to get to the craft store.

On my walk, I spot a little café that I decide I want to stop in after I get everything Chloe needs. I haven't eaten much all week, feeling nauseous every time I bring a piece of food to my mouth, but for some reason, that place makes me feel hungry. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting back to normal.

Maybe I really can do this.

Let's hope so.

I step into the craft store, weaving through the aisles and rechecking the list Chloe sent me to make sure I get everything she asked me to get. She was a freaking bridezilla before she even got engaged, so I would hate to see what she would turn into if I forgot one little thing on this damn list. When I feel like I have everything, I walk over to the checkout counter and wait in line, looking at the covers of some of the magazines they have strategically placed at the front of the store. I notice the couples on a few of them, smiling like they're happier than they've ever been standing next to the one they love. When my eyes start to sting, knowing that tears aren't far behind, I look away, trying to pay attention to literally anything else.

Get a fucking grip, Em.

Leaving the store with my bag in hand, I walk the same route I took to get here, remembering that I wanted to stop at that café. It doesn't take me long to find it and I step inside, happy that it smells amazing and feels just as cozy as I hoped it would. Aside from a few tables, most of the seating consists of beanbags and couches, making it feel more like a hangout than a business. The light from the sun makes the metallic picture frames placed all around the room shine like a disco ball, bringing an unusual, but positive vibe. I step up to the counter, looking at the menu and deciding on a grilled chicken Panini and a homemade strawberry hibiscus lemonade. When I finish paying and grab my things, I turn around to leave, only being practically knocked over by someone walking to the counter.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," the guy says, placing his hands on my shoulders to keep me upright. I compost myself, making sure I haven't dropped anything before smiling politely and shaking my head.

"No, no it's my fault. I should have--"

"Wait, Emma?"

When I'm met with a pair of brilliant hazel eyes, every ounce of air escapes my lungs when I realize who I just ran into.

My ex.

------------------------

Poor Emma. Girl just can't get a break :(

But omg 13.3k reads! How did this happen?!

You guys are amazing. Cute as a button, every single one of you ;)

xx