Chapter 9

I was shaking the entire walk home. My skin was crawling in the places he had touched me. His art snug in my arms as I clutched it to my chest. I just took hold of it and nearly ran off. My heart was pounding a million miles an hour with fear. I felt so ashamed that I didn't have any courage to stand up for myself. I said goodbye to Harry's lovely grandmother, thanked her over and over as I backed away. I can still feel the cocky expression Harry was giving me. He knew I knew. The paintings were all the proof I needed to connect the dots and confirm he was the stalker. He knew that. It was as if he planned this. And now the "proof" I had went for seemed useless. He was so confident, let me walk away with the evidence I wanted. He must know it wouldn't work. I didn't want to try anymore. I just wanted to cry myself into a hole and drown.

I finally got to my house and almost cried to see my door wide open. He must have been here before he showed up to the signing event. I walked in to find a raccoon trying to make himself at home on my couch. My eyes widened and I shriek at the animal. It doesn't even acknowledge me.

Most wild raccoons were highly territorial creatures and really mean. But this one just laid down and stared blankly into my house. I came slightly closer to find it had a small blue collar around it's neck. Someone had a pet raccoon. What the actual hell? How did this bitch get away from home and into my house?

Its big eyes wondered over to me, before he hopped down from my couch and scampered into my kitchen. I gasp and quickly turn toward him. Trying to catch up now.

"No! No, no, no! You don't live here mr. get out!" I shouted, chasing him.

He sat in front of my fridge, staring expectantly at it. I groaned, setting the painting down on the counter. Maybe, if I fed him, he'd go back home and leave me alone. So I opened the fridge and pulled out the box of wafers, which I liked to keep cold. I dropped the treat onto the floor and leapt backwards to give it to the raccon. The small creature gladly accepted my cookie, before running back to my couch.

"You got your snack, now get out!" I say nervously, pointing to the door.

He just looked at me and plopped back down in his previous spot. His little paws held the cookie to his face as he nibbled away at it. Leaving little crumbs all over my couch. I would swoon if this wasn't in my own home and if I weren't terrified of this strange pet. I had no clue if this raccoon would flip his attitude and attack me at any moment. What was I supposed to do?

"I'm calling a pet shelter if you don't get out of here!" I whined, as if the animal would listen.

He just curled up in the corner of my couch. Then closed his little eyes to nap there. I heavily sighed, then shut my door because of the cold draft coming in. I could only hope that this animal wouldn't act crazy or hurt me.

I decided to try to relax. Pulling off my coat and shoes. Sighing, I pick up my laptop, then sat in my chair. Pulling up my email just to check. Still well aware that there was a raccoon sleeping on my freaking couch. He seemed content so I focused on my computer. For a while I was just clicking through and deleting spam emails. Unknowing of the small creature hopping down from the couch and hobbling up to me. I feel utterly shocked and frozen when he jumps up into my lap and curls himself up into a fluffy ball. Laying down on me and quickly falling back to sleep. My heart was pounding but my brain was swooning.

He may look pretty well trained and domestic. But that didn't make the situation less dangerous, or scary. Yet, he was cuddling on me, like it was normal. Like a dog. I carefully pressed my palm to the raccoon's head. He gently nudged his face forward, having me pet him like a cat. I start to calm down as I run my fingers through his soft fur. This raccoon seemed to be so sweet. We sat there for a long time, just enjoying each others company. His fur was so soothing.