Chapter 12

I paid little attention to Harry's business as the night went on. I just ate my chicken tenders with the fancy chipotle ranch sauce it came with. For the most part, I was silent. I didn't have much to say. I didn't quite have any input on anything the men were talking about. I didn't really even understand what they were talking about.

Eventually the men wrapped things up. Harry paid for our dinners and we finally left the restaurant. He led me back out to his car, but I was nervous about getting in. He noticed my hesitation and tightly squeezed my hand.

"Don't worry, sweetheart. I'll go slow." He rasps in my ear.

My whole body tickled at the sensation of Harry's breath on me. I nervously nod in response, but I was still scared. Instead of acting on my fear, I got into the car. Harry buckled me in right away this time and Pat my thigh before closing the car door.

Thankfully the ride home is safer this time. Harry doesn't speed and he stops very carefully. Consistently checking on me by asking and looking over to me to see if I was overwhelmed. It was weird. And when we arrived at my house he walked me to the door and stood outside.

"Good night, Pheobe." Harry says, gently brushing his fingers through my hair.

"Goodnight." I mumble back and step away from him.

He nods and turns around, walking to his car. I only watch for a second before I softly close my front door. Making sure to lock it so he couldn't come back. Though, I know he still could. I sigh in relief. Finally, I could get away from him for now. Finally I could feel remotely free. Sort of...

I went upstairs and changed into pajamas quickly. I'd been exhausted from the whole dinner and almost dying in a car crash thing. Harry really wore me out today. I knew I'd want to go to bed soon. All we did was go and have dinner with some of his peers. But somehow he made it into a terrifying and exhausting experience. I hated it. I hate him.

I stumble down the stairs to go to the bathroom. The raccoon scampered into the living room after he realized I was home and ran up to me before I made it to my destination. A small envelope was in his mouth. I shrieked and ran to him in panic.

"Drop that!" I demand.

The small creature spit it out like I tell him to and ran up the stairs I just descended. I rolled my eyes at him then picked up the envelope. I was expecting it to be bills or some credit card application. But I found something much worst. I examined the familiar handwriting on the the front of it. It made me scowl. My dad. I didn't have to read it to know what it probably said.

"What do I do with this?" I think to myself. All I knew was I really didn't want it. Or want to read it. Angrily, I took the letter into the kitchen and shoved it into the trash can. I should have let that raccoon eat the damn thing or something.

After disposing of that trash, I washed my hands. As if that letter were the most disgusting thing I've ever touched in my life. When my hands were officially cleaned, I decided it was time to finish getting ready for bed. Feet carrying me to the bathroom to wind down and brush my teeth.

***********
Cold air burned my lungs, but I couldn't stop now. I couldn't let go yet. My shoes were soaked. Hair stuck to my face and dripping icy water over my cheeks. My heart pounded so hard I thought this run might kill me. Passing different giant shipping containers, I fought to make it to him. The letter running through my head over and over.

I heard your friend talking about me, Pheobe. He should have stayed quiet. You thought you could play games with me? How about this for a game. How fast can you make it to the loading docks? Can you make it to him before me?

-H

"Please Mason. Please be okay!" I cry out, trying hard to make it to the boat he worked at normally.

Tears blended into the raindrops pouring down my face. The boat came into my view, giving me some hope. I run up to the side of the ladder and climb my way up as fast as possible. Almost slipping as the waster on the metal made it harder to grip the sides. Once on the boat I book it to the living quarters where I knew my friend often stayed between shipments. The door was unlocked. I slam it open in a hurry.

"Mason! Mason you have to get out of here- please!" I shout before realizing he wasn't there. My heart sank. The room was a mess. There was a fight here. The two dining chairs were torn away from the kitchenette island. One completely destroyed. Blood was splattered on the floor, a wall, all over the broken chair, fingerprints were smeared across the linoleum floor along with an enormous puddle. Stretched out by whoever moved the body. My heart sank. The trail was dragged back out the door I had entered. Whatever blood might have been on the deck was washed away in the pounding rain outside. My hand clamped over my mouth as I quietly left to search the rest of the boat. I checked everywhere. Everywhere. No more evidence left to find where my friend or his attacker had gone.

"Mason!" I screamed, sobbing at this point. "Mason please! Please! You have to be okay! Mason!"

Frantic, heartbroken, and horrified, I paced over the boat. Desperate to find something to tell me he was okay. Instead I find a knife. Left on the deck of the boat. Hyperventilating, I drop to the ground. Sobbing and screaming now. Screaming in utter frustration and deep fear. I know for sure now, that I'm not safe here. I know for sure something awful could happen to me.

***********

I woke with a start. A cold sweat broke out over my forehead. The raccoon pounced off of me and fell to the floor with a startling thud. It took me a moment to catch my breath. I didn't realize I had fallen asleep on the couch. My phone was on my chest with the stupid game I sometimes play still on the screen. A feeling of distraught washes over me.

Shakily, I hoisted myself up. Walking towards the kitchen. I gave a cookie to the raccoon and grabbed the ice cream to dig into myself. Shoveling bite after bite in my mouth, I watch the fuzzy creature on the floor eats away at his cookie leaving a trail of crumbs as he takes a few steps and stops to eat.

I was so shaken up by my dream that I was struggling to breathe. I tried to calm myself with the ice cream but it didn't do me any justice. But the raccoon soon distracted me with his adorable behavior. The sweet boy stands on his hind legs and nibbles happily on the rest of his treat. I giggle at his stance.

"That's what I'll call you." I mumble with a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth. "Nibble."

The raccoon made a chattering noise at me. Almost as if approving his new nickname. Which made me smile.

"Great. Now I'm going to get attached and you probably have a home..." My head drops in disappointment for a moment.

I sighed dramatically at my predicament. Eventually, I'd have to make flyers for him. He has to have a home. I can't keep taking care of this poor guy. But he was an amazing comfort to me. It was nice not always being and feeling alone. Especially after waking up from nightmares.

A/N: Short... boring... filler chapter. Sorry guys. Expect better next time... But hey. You don't know what that letter was! Hahahahaha