Chapter 25

Harry didn't get out of the car when we arrived at the bar. Instead he told me he'd be back to pick me up when I got off of work. He seemed worried. I didn't know what about, but part of me thought he was worried about us having sex. After we had done it, I was worried too. A part of me knows that being intimate with Harry is wrong. He's scary! I let him put his hands on me like that, when before I hoped he would never lay a hand on me. I hoped he had died, or been in jail, or something awful happened to him. But then I go and have aggressive sex with him. Like some stupid girl in the movies who's about to get murdered.

Kayla greets me as soon as I enter the bar with a distracted 'Hi'. I return the greeting and make my way towards the register. Kayla was diligently cleaning up a beer tap nozzle when I walk up to her behind the counter. I clocked on for my shift and watch her intently as she does her job and, for a moment, things seemed silent. No customers were in the building that I knew of and the only noise we could hear was the radio playing through the ceiling speakers. Everything was calm until I spotted a mark on my coworkers tan arm.

"Woah, Kayla, what did that to you??" I ask, worried.

She glaced down at the horrible bruise on her arm and winces a little. It was shaped like a hand and was a painful to look at shade of purple and almost grey. Her eyes flashed up from her injury and up to my face. Then she dropped the tap nozzle. I could tell that the bruise didn't happen by accident by the way she looked at me. Almost like she was ashamed.

"Oh, I was walking up the stairs to my apartment and I slipped on ice. My boyfriend grabbed me by the arm to catch me. I dropped all our food too."

"Oh, that sucks. He grabbed you really hard, huh? Are you okay?" My eyes stayed glued to the enormous mark on her, I didn't really believe her.

"Yeah, it still hurts though." Kayla got quiet. "Hey, what did that to you?"

"What?" I cock my head to the side and furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"Hickeys!" She shrieks.

I gasp and instinctively cover my neck with my hands. Not hickeys! I didn't think about that before I came here. My cheeks began to warm up as I remember where they came from. Kayla's demeanor completely changes.

"Oh my God! Who did that!?" The excitement in her voice made me nervously laugh.

"Oh, uhh, nobody. It's just uh.... You have dust on your eyes or something? You're not seeing right. There's nothing on my neck!" I keep nervously laughing and backing away to the kitchen.

"Pheobe! Spill! Who mistook you for a sandwich?"

Kayla followed me through the kitchen and into the "break room" and I smiled at her comment as I walked. I hang up my coat on an old, yellowed hook. When I turn around in the tiny room to go wash my hands, Kayla is still close by with an excited expression. I laugh at her and stick my tongue out.

"Nobody, there's no hickeys here. I have no clue what you're talking about."

Kayla groans dramatically at me and continues to follow me to the sink. The water is cold when I turn it on and I decide to put soap on my hands first. Everything in the back part of our bar was old and for the most part, ugly. The employee sink was no acception and had a lot of rust on the metal drain cover. When the water from the gross faucet warms, I stick my hands in and rinse them off.

"Okay, you know I'm fucking my boyfriend. So who's fucking you? It's only fair to share." Kayla jokes at me as I move to dry my hands.

"Okay... I'll tell you..." I'm interrupted by Kayla squeaking for a moment. "It's that guy. Uh, Harry. He's like an artist. He called in sick for me the other day, uhm. Yeah I really was sick though, this happened like right before I had to leave for work today woops."