Chapter 24 Part 1

I got up early to shower, which was entirely irregular for me. Shaved my legs, washed my face, hair, and body. I was feeling pretty damn good. Once I'd gotten all cleaned up, spent time on actually blow drying my hair, and whitening my teeth, I sauntered off into the kitchen. Wearing nothing more that my underwear and a large T-shirt. How could I not? I had just successfully shaved my legs without accidentally cutting myself. That deserves a victory strut, really.

With a satisfied feeling, I say hello to Nibbles. He was sitting on the counter and standing on his hind legs, pressing his front paws together and shaking them up and down. Very quickly grabbing my attention with his adorable behavior. I smile and walk closer to the counter to greet him.

"Hey baby boy, are you hungry?" I ask the fury creature.

The raccoon quickly chatters at me, then jumps off the counter and scampers over to the fridge. Confirming my question. I decide to give the little guy some carrot sticks to see if he'd like them. Sure enough the fuzzy creature bites into the orange veggie and runs off with it, shoving it in his mouth as he went. The adorable act causes me to laugh.

I finally start making myself breakfast. I wanted a healthy and energized start today, so I made some eggs and blueberry oatmeal. A very satisfying meal with some morning tea. I absolutely loved it and was so proud of myself for trying this hard this morning. Something I've neglected to do in such a long while. My body felt content and happy.

I clean up my mess and washed the few dishes I used. Finally decided to put some pants on, just some comfy, loose sweatpants that I could sit in until work. Once I had settled myself for the day, I get my now fully charged phone and sit down on my couch. Turning the device on to find I had three new messages. To my surprise, there had been one from Hank. Reminding me that we had exchanged numbers the night we went for dinner with Joey and Adeline. I press on his contact to read it, wondering if he thought I was crazy after I'd kissed him.

The message​ read, "Hey, Pheobe! Was wondering if you were alright. Saw you the other day near Brett's Shack with some guy. You looked a little out of it".

Maybe he had seen me leaving with Harry that night I stayed over at his apartment. I quickly start to type back, feeling really bad about how I'd acted on the night Hank and I met. My fingers moving quickly across the little keyboard as I typed away. Deleting and retyping the message a few times before I felt completely satisfied with how it looked.

"I've been just fine! Recently got a job at Brett's, so I'll be over there lots!" It sounded pretty okay, though I was embarrassed to tell him about my job. And more embarrassed to even mention Harry.

I then open a message from Adeline, which was just a bunch of intrusive questions about Harry and how we'd met. She just happened to include the, "but I thought you were into Hank", which made me realize that she had been the reason he texted me. What a sneaky asshole. Then the last being an angry and long text from my landlord. All about how I needed to pay rent, how he was kicking me out, and that he was stopping by that day to talk to me. Great way to remind me about that stressful moment.

My mood quickly drops and suddenly I'm upset. Remembering that I was getting kicked out and have nowhere to go. The thought attacked me and I just sat there taking in the whole idea of it, not particularly enjoying such a thing. I was losing my home, my dirtcheap, and very broken, piece of shit home. It may have been trashy, but it's mine and I love it. I love the creaky stairs, smelly bathroom, broken central heating/cooling, weird power outages for probably severe electrical reasons, and the shower that has been fixed, and fixed, and fixed, and fixed again by the landlord's handy guy. Because he really doesn't do a good job at fixing anything.

I chose to text Gerald back, apologizing for last night. As well as explaining to him that I didn't have my phone until last night and if I would have known he planned to come down, then I would have organized a better way to do it. As well as a more civil way to talk about it, without Harry there. But something told me he planned on getting rid of me for a long time. There was no helping my upseting situation.