He's gone

James opened the door to his dad who was accompanied by Bennett.

"Can I put him on your bed?" Damian asked.

James nodded, "yeah, of course," he shut the front door and scurried off to the bedroom to sort out the bed. I followed Damian to the bedroom, unsure of what to do.

Damian laid Bennett on the bed and I heard him hiss in pain.

Bennett smiled weakly at us, "hey," he said quietly. He had blood coming from his right temple and a few cuts on his arms.

James shut the bedroom door, "Ben, what were you thinking? You can't drink and drive. You're lucky this wasn't a serious accident," he shouted at his older brother.

Bennett rubbed his hands together, "it wasn't an accident, James," he said quietly. He really needed to stop the bleeding from his head.

James furrowed his eyebrows, "what do you mean?"

"I mean it wasn't an accident!" Bennett raised his voice.

"He attempted suicide, James," I added quietly.

James laughed without humour, "no he didn't. He wouldn't do that," he didn't seem to sure on that himself.

I turned to Damian, "we need to stop the bleeding on his head," I told him.

He nodded, "get me a towel, please." I scurried of to the bathroom and got out a towel. I brought it back an handed it to Damian who then placed it on Bennett's gash.

Bennett pulled away, "no. Leave it," he said pushing the towel away.

James scowled, "Ben, we're trying to help you," he told him.

Bennett shook his head, "I don't want help," he told his brother.

"Why are you doing this? You were so happy! Even being an alcoholic, you were still wanting to get help!" James shouted, a tear fell from his eye.

Bennett smiled, "sometimes the people with the biggest smiles are the ones who cry themselves to sleep every night. Don't worry, it's what I want, James," he told his baby brother.

James shook his head, "I love you Bennett," he walked out of the bedroom and slammed the door shut behind him. I went to go after him but Bennett stopped me.

"Lily, stay with me," he told me and patted a space on the bed for me to sit on. I nodded and sat down next to him.

Damian shuffled towards us, "Are you sure this is what you want, Ben?" He asked him, I could tell he didn't want it.

Bennett smiled, "yes, I would prefer it if my little brother would be here with me but I understand that it must be hard for him," he told us. His breathing was becoming irregular and rough.

Damian sighed, "I guess I'll see you on the other side," he said to Bennett with a sad smile.

Bennett smiled back, "I'll watch over you," he promised.

I wiped a tear from my eye, "see you soon, Ben," I said with the same sad smile Damian had.

He laughed weakly, "hopefully not too soon," he turned to Damian, "I'm sorry it had to be like this dad," he apologised before taking his last raspy breath.