A visit back home

My eyes glistened at the sight of my home, "that's my house. The one with the red door," I pointed to my home and James pulled up outside it.

He turned off the engine and turned to me, "make sure she she doesn't call anyone, okay. I'll be right behind you," he told me.

I smiled, "okay! Let's go," I said happily jumping out the car and running to my front door. I knocked twice and waited nervously.

My mum opened it, "Lily! Oh my god, you're okay! I thought you was dead!" She told me.

I rolled my eyes, "thanks for believing in me mum," I said sarcastically and pushed my way into the house taking in the scent of lavender. It was my mums favourite smell, she had lavender candles, air fresheners and even a lavender coloured living room.

I heard my mum gasp, "Who's this man?" She asked, her eyes not leaving James.

I turned around slowly, "mum, this is James. James, this is my mum," I introduced them both.

James smiled warmly, "hello, it's lovely to meet you," he held out his hand for my mum to shake.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "how did you meet him?" She asked me.

I couldn't say he kidnapped me, she would freak out. What could I say? I couldn't say he was my husband and I couldn't say he was the father of my child.

James saved me, "I found her on the streets," he lied, "she was in a bad way and I've been taking care of her until she was well again."

My mum eyes us both skeptically, "well thank you very much, James. You can go now," she said trying to shut the door on his face.

"Mum!" I shouted and reopened the door, "you can't just shut him outside like that. He saved my life," I scolded her. God, she was so rude sometimes.

She rolled her eyes, "well come in, James," she gestured for him to enter and he did just that, wiping his feet on the mat.

I grinned, "where's Ice?" I asked remembering my husky, "is he in the living room?" I turned towards my front room.

"Well actually, Lily I need to tell you-" my mum began.

I ran into my living room, "Ice! Where are you buddy?" I came to an abrupt stop when I saw a man sitting on my couch.

He stood up, "hel-" I cut him off.

"Who are you?" I asked as my dog came bounding over to my side.

He smiled, "My name is Gary," he said holding out his hand for me to shake.

I scowled, "mum, there's a stranger in the living room!" I shouted, I kept my eyes fixed on 'Gary'. Gary the snail from sponge bob square pants. He looked like a snail as well, ugly and weird.

My mum patted my shoulder, "Lily, this is Gary. He's my new husband," she told me smiling at her snail husband.

"What? You got married without me?" I shouted at her.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "I thought you was dead!" She told me again.

I laughed without humour, "oh, I see! So instead of grieving for your supposedly dead daughter you marry a snail!"

James snickered, "a snail?"

I smirked, "his names Gary. You know, like Gary the snail from spongebob square pants," I explained.

He nodded his understanding. Then I had a great idea, if he could hear my thoughts and I listened to his then could we have a telepathic conversation.