One call

I answered the phone, "hello?"

   The voice I had been missing for a few months now answered, "Lily! I miss you so much," James told me.

   I began crying, "I wish you was here. It's so hard doing everything alone especially with the baby coming soon."

   He sighed, "I can't believe I'm going to miss the baby growing up. I've got another ten years in here," he said quietly.

   I gasped, "ten years! Are you allowed visitors?"

   "No. I'm not even allowed regular phone calls, I can write letters though," he told me.

  I wiped my eyes, "I don't know how I'm going to cope," I admitted.

   "You're stronger than you think babe. You'll be able to do this. Our family will help you. You're not alone in this. I love you so much Lily, I have to go now."

   I bit my lip, "I love you too," I hung up and cried. I cried more than I have ever cried before. When I finally stopped my face felt like I had been swimming.

    I scowled, "get a grip on yourself," I told myself. I got in a shower and put on some clothes, I was going to go shopping to take my mind off things.

   My phone began ringing again but this time it was my mum. I had been ignoring her for almost three months now and I couldn't ignore her any longer.

  I answered, "what?"

    She sounded like she hadn't slept, "Lily! Where are you? I've been worried sick!"

   I rolled my eyes, "I told you I was going. This is my new life mum. Just me and my baby," I told her.

  She began crying, "please come home! I miss you so much, and your baby needs a granny!"

   I huffed, "they don't need a gran who wanted them dead a few weeks ago," I hung up. I was tired of her. I was tired of everything. Just when I thought I was going to have some peace and quiet my door knocked.

   I groaned and opened but grinned when I saw Victoria, Damian, Carrie and Carl.

   Victoria grinned, "I hope your not busy. We thought we would keep you company," she held up some bags, "we brought you some shopping!"

   I chuckled, "thanks! Come in," I stood back and opened the door wider to let everyone inside. The past few months had been hard. I'd been having nightmares about James never coming home and Derek coming back to kill my baby. Everyone had been busy so I hadn't had many visitors either. I was also due to have my baby any day now.

   Carrie smiled, "I can't wait until you have the baby!" She said excitedly.

   I laughed, "neither can I!" I grabbed her hand and put it to my stomach, "can you feel it kicking?" I asked.

   She gasped, "yes, that's amazing! I can't wait till I have a baby!"

   Damian frowned, "not anytime soon. You're still young." We all laughed and unpacked the shopping.

   Carrie called us into the front room, "big mommas house is on!" She cried excitedly. This girl was always excited.

   We all sat down to watch the film and about half an hour in I was laughing so hard I began to cry.

    I suddenly stopped laughing, "my waters broke!" I screamed.

   Carl jumped up, "what!" 

     I stood up, "the baby's coming!" I was definitely not ready to have the baby right now.

   Victoria stood up calmly, "I need towels, a lot of towels and warm water. We've got a baby to deliver!" She helped me up to my bedroom and laid me on the bed. Carl and Damian were either side of me and I was squeezing their hands and screaming. The pain was terrible I thought I was going to explode. Carrie was helping Victoria do something with towels but I wasn't focusing on that. All I was focusing on was the pain I was in.

   Carrie screamed with excitement, "I can see the head!"

    Carl gagged, "I think I'm going to be sick," he said dramatically. I ignored them all and nearly broke his hand because I was squeezing it so hard.

   Victoria laughed, "one more push!" She cried enthusiastically.

    I screamed as I have my final push and heard everyone 'aww' in unison.

   Victoria washed the baby down with the water and smiled, "it's a girl!" She handed me my baby girl and I smiled at her.

    Damian smiled, "do you have a name for her?"

   I planted a kiss on her head, "Holly," I decided.

   Carl snorted, "seriously? Holly? It's so plain," he laughed.

   Damian punched him in his arm, "shut your mouth," he said and smiled at me, "I think Holly is a beautiful name.

   I chuckled, "thank you and thank you Victoria, I would never have been able to do this on my own," I told her with a genuine smile.

   She smiled back at me, "it's alright, I enjoyed it. It's just a shame James couldn't be here to see it," she frowned slightly.

   Carrie scowled, "way to dampen the mood mum." We all laughed.

   The rest of the day went by quickly, we spoke and everyone had a turn holding Holly. Everyone cooed at her and laughed whenever she done something even a tiny bit funny. We spoke about the future and James. We even spoke about Bennett and that was something that Damian and Victoria didn't like speaking about. When everybody left I put Holly in her cot next to my bed and kissed her goodnight. I fell asleep soon after and was it dreamless?

     No.

   I had a nightmare that I woke up in the night and Holly was gone. The window in my bedroom was open so I ran over to see Spencer running of with Holly. When I woke up I walked straight over to check on Holly. She was sleeping peacefully.

   I woke her up, "do you want to get in bed with mummy?" I asked her in a quiet high voice. She yawned and I smiled and placed her in the bed next to me. I put pillows either side of her so I didn't crush her and she didn't fall off the bed. I gave her another kiss and she fell back to sleep. I watched her for a while before falling back into my own sleep. Was this one dreamless?

   No.

  I had a dream that James came home and was laying beside me playing with Holly. We chatted and laughed about silly things and I felt safe again. I would never feel the warmth of his body holding mine for another ten years. I cried quietly in my sleep. This is my new life, just me and Holly.