Chapter 13

(Not edited)

~Perrie's Pov ~

Jade's fingers stayed knitted through mine as we maneuvered through the lobby, but I couldn't stop shaking. The cameras. The questions. The number of women staring at my Jade. It was a lot to take in. Beside me, Jade smiled, returning nods of welcome and calling out hellos, but her posture was stiff and her movements became automatic. After a few minutes, she pulled away from me, placing her hand on the small of my back. This small gesture usually made me feel safe and protected, but right now, it only felt mechanical. Jade was going through the motions as she put on a show for those around us.
"Are you okay?" I whispered when we reached the ballroom.
"I'm fine, Perrie," she said in a clipped tone.

"Excuse me one moment."

She left me standing there, alone, in a crowd of hundreds of people, and I wasn't sure what to do. My eyes skimmed the room for Jesy, my would-be salvation. She should have gotten here already. I scanned the room until I spotted her lithe figure. Saying a silent prayer of thanks that she was so tall, I bee-lined toward her as quickly as dignity would allow. Jesy caught sight of me and lit up, waving me toward her, but I hesitated as I realised that she wasn't alone. But relief flooded through me when Jesy's companion turned, and I caught a glimpse of her face
"Camila!" I exclaimed, rushing forward to give her a hug. Immediately, I remembered where I was and stepped back, feeling embarrassed. "We probably shouldn't be hugging at something as formal as this."
"No! Hug me again!" Camila gave me another squeeze, grabbing my hands in the process. "I'm just the caterer."
"You look fabulous," I told her, and it wasn't a lie. Camila had always been pretty.
"Doesn't she?" Jesy agreed. "Totally unfair that she spends all day being a chef and she still looks like that."
"I keep my figure by dealing with a kitchen full of cocky jerks. It's hard work kicking their asses all day," Camila said dryly. "Speaking of, I should check on my new partner. I've left him in charge of the plating, and he's probably screwing it up." But instead of leaving, she shook her head in exasperation and returned her attention to me. "How are you, Perrie?"
Camila had been a year ahead of us in school, earning two degrees that made her a double threat in the culinary world. I hadn't seen her since she'd graduated, although I'd planned to look her up when I got to London.
"I'm so sorry I haven't called you," I said. "I've had a lot on my plate."
"That's one way to put it," Jesy said with meaning.
"Don't embarrass her." Camila shushed Jesy and then gave me a sympathetic look. "You should come by and let me put something delicious on your plate to distract you from all this crap. Although from where I'm standing, you've found yourself something tasty already."
"If I knew where Jade was," I said. My eyes darted around the room, wondering if Jade had come looking for me yet, but she was nowhere in sight.
"She probably went to get you a drink," Camila said.
"What are we raising money for again? Endangered animals?" I asked, taking in the event's decor. Lush ferns and vines transformed the space into an exotic jungle. Movement overhead caught my attention and I looked up in time to spy a dazzlingly brilliant yellow bird swoop overhead. Someone had gone a little over- the-top for this event.
"I thought you knew," Camila said, passing me a drink from a serving tray.
"I do not," I said, taking the drink gratefully. If Jade was getting me a drink, she was slacking.
"It's the Queen's birthday. She chooses a charity every year to celebrate."
"Shit," I said. "Really?" Jade had mentioned endangered animals, but she had obviously left out some important details. How in the world had I wound up here and what was she thinking? Maybe the Queen was particularly gracious on her birthday. I really hoped that was it.
Jesy held her glass up in a toast. "To getting this over with."
Camila and I clinked our glasses against hers, but as I brought mine to my lips, heat flooded my cheeks, awareness rippling through my body. I knew Jade was there before she spoke, because my body responded as if it were being pulled backward.
"Perrie," she said in a low rasp. "I see you found a drink."
I whirled a little quickly toward her, causing champagne to fly over the rim of my glass. It splattered on the dress of a women standing next to Jade. She gasped, dabbing it gingerly from the delicate fabric.
"I'm so sorry!" I wished there was a table nearby that I could crawl under and hide.
The women shook her head even as she continued to fuss over the spot. "Don't worry about it."
She smiled warmly at me, and now that I wasn't focused on my faux pas, I managed a good look at her. I couldn't believe it she was even more stunning close up than she had been in pictures. If she weren't so nice, I would definitely hate her.
"Perrie, may I introduce you to Leigh Anne Pinnock?"
I smiled, hoping my nerves weren't showing, and extended my hand, but Leigh Anne stepped past it and kissed both of my cheeks. It was so chic that I found myself hating her a little more, and hating myself for bring so shallow.
"It's nice to meet you, and I am so sorry," I repeated like a broken record.
"It's just a dress." She dropped her voice conspiratorially. "That's why you should always wear black. Nothing shows."
"I should be going," she said. "I brought a date and I've lost him."
I knew just how she felt, and to my frustration, Jade gave me a cold kiss on the cheek and disappeared with her, leaving me to my friends.
"Wow, that was awkward," Jesy said as soon as they were out of earshot.
"At least she was gracious about it." Despite a somewhat humiliating first meeting, I felt better having met the girl Jade had been romantically involved with.
"Sure," Jesy said, but her eyes didn't meet my mine as she spoke, and I made a mental note to pry whatever she was hiding out of her as soon as we got home.
"I can't believe you've hit that," Camila said with a sigh, her gaze still glued to the spot Jade had stood in moments ago.
I smacked Jesy on the shoulder.
"Ouch! Pez!" She rubbed the spot and frowned. "What was that for?"
I tilted my head, giving her my best what-the-fuck face.
"I did not say a thing," she said in a dramatically offended voice.
"Sorry, Perrie," Camila said with a sheepish smile. "I saw the article this afternoon and assumed, which makes me a terrible person."
"It's okay." I shrugged before downing the last of my champagne.
"And she is hitting that," Jesy added.
I shot her another look, but she responded with a coy smile.
"Sorry, darling, it is written all over your flushed face."
I blushed deeper, which made them both laugh.
"It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of," Camila said. "I'd offer to body swap with you, actually."
"I'm pretty happy in this one," I admitted.
"Yeah, you are." Jesy clinked her glass one more time.
"I really have to get back to the kitchen and deal with Bastian," Camila said finally.
"Speaking of, I should go find Jade." I excused myself as well and began searching for my date. Now that I'd had some liquid courage and discovered that Leigh Anne wasn't a threat anymore, I felt more comfortable in my skin. It was clear that Jade didn't though. Did she even want me here? She'd warned me of what to expect, but I'd expected the coldness from her family, not her.
I spotted Jade by the bar, still talking with Leigh Anne, but now she was frowning. Leigh Anne's hand was draped over Jade's and she spoke passionately. Something twisted in my chest, but I pushed it back, unwilling to allow jealousy to prevent me from being with Jade. But I stopped when I saw her frown deepen. She began to speak, the wildness in her eyes visible even from a distance, before finally pulling away from Leigh Anne and stalking off.
By the time I maneuvered through the crowd, I'd lost track of her again. Slumping against a column, I considered giving up. Why was I looking out for her when she'd abandoned me in the first place? What had she been discussing with Leigh Anne? Whatever it was had upset her. Of course, she'd been on edge since we arrived. Releasing another long sigh, I struggled with the idea that Jade was always going to raise more questions that she would give answers. I was debating this when a strong hand caught mine and pulled me away from the party. Jade's lips were over mine, her body pressing mine into a marble arch before I could process what was happening. I pushed against her at first, but then I weakened, melting into the kiss, craving physical contact with her as I wrestled with the enigma of a woman who seemed to be constantly slipping through my fingers. Her member was hard through her pants and my body responded with trembles. We were only steps away from her mother's birthday party and she was going to take me. I wouldn't stop her. I couldn't. But as quickly as the embrace began, it ended. Jade stepped away and straightened her tie.
"I needed that," she said.
The kiss had rendered me speechless, struck dumb by the mixed signals of the last hour. One moment Jade was open and bold, and the next closed and suspicious and tonight I'd been passed between her two sides so often that I was developing whiplash.
She crooked her arm and offered it to me as I dabbed at the corners of my mouth, hoping my lipstick wasn't all over my face.
"You look beautiful," she said, but the lust that usually accompanied her compliments was absent from her voice. Jade's words were even, carefully measured, and far too polite. I longed for her dirty mouth and wicked smile.
I took her arm and allowed her to lead me back to the party. We reentered the ballroom, and I immediately felt eyes on me. Nearly everyone had arrived, and they were all eager to get a peek at the girl behind the latest royal scandal. I tried to remember what Jade has said in the limo. They were judging her and not me, but it was hard to think that when eyes narrowed as they met yours and tongues wagged behind hands everywhere you turned.
"Your Highness." A man approached us, bowing to Jade and then giving me a stiff nod. "Your mother requests that you join the family for the toast."
"I showed up," Jade said with a grimace. "That should be enough."
"I'm afraid she's quite insistent," the man continued. "I suspect she'll just call you up in front of everyone if you don't—"
"Fine!" Jade threw her hands up, dropping mine. I could feel the barely controlled fury rolling off of her and I stood stock-still, afraid to add fuel to her rage.
"I'll see the young lady to a table," the man offered.
"My girlfriend stays with me."
"But your highness—"
"Perrie stays with me," she repeated in a firm voice that left no room for further questioning. Jade grabbed my arm and strode quickly toward the front of the ballroom. She moved so quickly that I was practically running to keep up with her pace as she dragged me along.
Jade's family was clustered together, taking turns speaking and ignoring one another, and I inhaled sharply, knowing this was the moment of truth.
"Remember, this is about me, Perrie," she whispered.
I nodded, but my eyes were glued to the group of people in front of me. The blood pounding in my ears made it hard to process what she was saying. Jade cupped my chin and turned me to face her. Her eyes were cold, distant and dead but I felt her control radiating out from her. It was as though she'd compartmentalized all her emotions in order to deal with tonight. I nodded again, this time giving her the eye contact that she so obviously desired.
"Good girl," Jade said, brushing a soft kiss over my lips.
"Jade!," a voice boomed, startling me away from her.
"Can't you see I'm busy mother." Jade said.
"You've kept us waiting long enough."
"I'm sorry, mother," Jade said stiffly. She ran her hand down my bare arm before she turned away from me. "I lost track of my date."
"How careless." The Queen gestured for her to approach. "May I speak with you?"
The implication was clear the Queen wanted to speak with jade alone and Jade moved to join her mother.
Their conversation grew heated, voices raising high enough to be heard by those of us waiting in the vicinity. I did my best not to listen, but there was no mistaking the words "slut" and "shame." Holding my head up, I tried not to wince as the accusations flew between mother and daughter.
A teenage boy approached me, extending his hand. "I'm Luke cousin of princess Jade (Just pretend Jade actually has a cousin named Luke)."
Of course he was. Luke wore his dark hair longer and it curled past his ears, He grinned at me, and I noted he was quicker with a smile. I shook his hand weakly, unable to speak for fear I would start to cry in front of him.
"The Queen in an awful mood, which is unfortunately quite common." Luke clasped my hand tightly, searching my face as though he was looking for a clue as to how to make the poor girl he'd just met feel better. I wanted to tell him there was no use, but I knew I would never get it out. "Come over here."
Luke led me toward a nearby table. "Everyone please allow me to introduce Perrie Edwards, Jade's girlfriend."
"Oh, I—" My protest was silenced with a warning squeeze.
A tall man rose, buttoning his dinner jacket and offered his hand. I recognised him at once and fought the urge to check the party for Jesy.
"It's nice to see you, Perrie," Jonathan said as I took his hand. Rather than shaking it, he raised it to his lips.
"You know her, Jonathan?" a petite redhead dressed in ivory asked him. Most girls with such a fair complexion couldn't have pulled off her gown, but it only made her pale skin seem delicate and elegantly fragile. Her eyes traveled down my body calculatingly before she folded her hands primly on the table.
"Perrie and I went to school together," Jonathan said, but when he raked his gaze across me, he didn't bother to hide his conclusions. His eyes sparkled like a man who'd discovered he'd been invited to sport.
If Jonathan thought I was going to play with him, he had another thing coming. My skin crawled where he had touched me, and as soon as I had the chance, I planned to scrub it with soap under scalding hot water.
"This is Karlie ," Luke said, when the girl didn't introduce herself.
"Princess Karlie," she said flippantly.
Seriously?
"It's nice to meet you, Your Highness," I hissed. Everyone here had been born with a silver spoon in their mouth and a stick up their ass.
"Perhaps you'd care to dance," Jonathan suggested, gesturing to the nearly deserted dance floor.
I did want to dance with Jade. There was no way I was going to risk being seen with Jonathan, especially since I suspected he saw me as a bit of a challenge. "I'd rather wait for Jade."
"Of course," he said with a nod, averting his eyes from me. "Jade doesn't like to share."
There was a story here. I could feel it, but the last person I was going to ask to share it with me was Jonathan.
"Karlie?" Jonathan held out his hand and the sulky redhead took it, allowing him to sweep her toward the dance floor.
"Then let's get you a drink," Luke suggested as we watched them waltz. He looked over my shoulder to the other man at the table. "Edward?"
"I'll look after her," he said stiffly.
Luke pulled a chair out for me and I took it, grateful to be off my feet even if the company was less than welcoming. I glanced at Edward and realized we were in the same boat.
"You look like you're enjoying this as much as I am," I said, not bothering to hide my sarcasm.
A corner of his mouth tugged up, but he only shrugged. "My friends and I have different ideas on how to spend a Friday night."
"Maybe you should get new friends." My eyes caught Jonathan's as he spun Karlie on the dance floor, and he winked at me.
Edward snorted at me. I turned to face him, finding upon closer inspection that he was very handsome. His ebony skin and closely cropped hair showed off the strong lines of his face, and despite his sullen appearance, his coffee-brown eyes were warm. He was exactly Camila's type quiet, brooding, and hot. "Actually," I said, "I have a friend here that you should meet. You'd like her."
Guys always do, I added silently.
"Are we setting Edward up?" Luke asked with a smile, returning with drinks in hand.
"I think he'd hit it off with my friend, Camila." Taking my drink, I raised an eyebrow. "What do you think?"
Luke debated for a moment longer, but when he opened his mouth, he was interrupted by the appearance of an older woman that I immediately recognized. The Queen Mother carried herself with the grace and bearing of a woman who bore kings. Age had touched her, turning her dainty curls silver, but there was nothing frail about her. Sweeping up to us in a modest, beaded gown, she stood nearly a foot shorter than her younger grandson. Although the contemptuous look she wore made her seem much larger.
Her eyes narrowed as she assessed me, and her nose pinched as though she'd caught a whiff of something rotten. "So Jade brought her little slut to ruin her mother's birthday."
My mouth fell open and I tugged my hand away from Luke, who appeared nearly as shocked as I was.
"Grandmother!" Luke's tone admonished her, but I didn't wait around to hear what else she had to say about me. It was bad enough that half the UK was reading my private messages right now. I didn't have to stand around being insulted by people who thought they were superior to me. Pushing through the crowd, I escaped as quickly as possible. I'd hide out in the toilet until Jade finally came looking for me.
She'd warned me, but she hadn't prepared me.
Tears stung my eyes, spilling over before I finally risked turning around. Luke was nowhere to be seen, but his grandmother had joined the argument that was still going strong between Jade and her mother.
Jade hadn't even noticed I was gone.
I felt foolish for coming here, for thinking things couldn't get more complicated between us.
But I was stuck here with no money and now my feet were killing me. I wasn't used to the heels Jesy had insisted on.
Jesy.
She was here, and therein lay my lifeline if I could just find her.
Turning to look for her, I bumped into Leigh Anne.
I opened my mouth to apologise again, but she beat me to it.
"Stupid bitch," she hissed. "Are you purposefully trying to destroy this dress?"
The urge to cry vanished, replaced by shock, and I gaped at her.
"Oh, you're as stupid as I assumed," she continued, her eyes flickering like a snake's tongue around the room in disinterest before they came back to glare at me. "Did you really think I wouldn't mind you ruining my dress?"
"I'm sorry," I said dumbly, my mind not quite caught up to the surprise, even as my heart began to pound like a war drum in my chest.
"So am I. Sorry that you're about to get dumped," she said with a smirk, tossing her black waves over her shoulder. "Don't look so surprised. I could smell sex on you the second we met. Do you think Jade is the kind that keeps girls around for second helpings? Where is she anyway? Or did she already drop you like the rubbish you are?"
My hands clenched at my side, forming fists that I was dying to use even as I fought the urge. "Jade isn't the one calling the shots here, and don't concern yourself with our sex life. We're both very fulfilled."
My rage simmered as I neared my boiling point, and I wasn't sure how long I could contain it. In the last ten minutes, I'd been called a slut and now trash.
"All of England is concerned with your sex life," she said. "Tell me," she lowered her voice, a wicked gleam in her eyes, "did you give them that story? Did you sell those texts to make a buck or two while you can?"
I didn't need money or fame or influence. A fact which was obviously lost on her. Leigh Anne might have ties to the Royal Family, but from the way she was pouting over her dress, she didn't have my trust fund. What would be the point of showing her up? Now I understood Jesy's look earlier. She'd been warning me. Trust Jesy to spot a snake in the grass a mile away when I had to step on its tail and get bitten first.
"If you're done," I said, shoving past her, "I was leaving."
"Running away are we Perrie?" she asked in a mocking voice. "Make sure you drop your glass slipper on the way out, but don't count on Jade coming to find you."
I swallowed on that and shot back. "I don't want her to."
And I didn't. This wasn't a fairytale and Jade was no Princess Charming. More than ever, I wanted to go home and transform back into simple, loner Perrie. I didn't bother looking for Jesy. All I wanted to do was get out of there, but Leigh Anne's words lodged in my brain. This was the end of my story. There'd be time to cry about it later. For now, I just wanted to escape.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys

Poor Perrie :( I felt so bad writing this but it the way I need the story to go.

I hope you's all have a good day/night!

See you next update