chapter four.

When Monica woke up she was in a light and airy room. Her neck ached from sleeping in a bad position and her mind was plagued with nightmares of churches, a demon in white and a crack into Hell. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and swung her legs out of bed. The room was plain but familiar. She almost didn't recognize it, the two people in the photo frame on the bed stand. Her and her brother Robbie.
"Robbie!" she shouted, running out of the room and into the kitchen. There, like she had never left, her brother stood making pancakes. He looked up at her and smiled.

"Hey, come on you slept for ages," he said patting her arm and placing a fresh plate of pancakes at the table. She frowned. This wasn't how she imagined her brother would act. Sitting down next to him she watched as he drowned his pile of pancakes in syrup and started eating.

"Robbie...are you okay? After Zachariah and everything?," she asked. He looked up with a frown and swallowed.
"What are you talking about? I just got back from Tacoma yesterday and saw you asleep in the spare room.....I haven't told Mom yet,"he added after a pause. Monica nodded slowly before eating her pancakes. Was it all a dream? She looked at her hands, Her fingers were still bruised from trying to escape that pulling force It had all been real, yet Robbie didn't remember. Deciding not to talk about it, she smiled and nudged her brother.

"I missed you," she said. He looked up and smiled before trying to grab the last pancake. She swiftly stabbed it with her dinner knife and put it on her plate, smiling smugly as he watched her eat it.
"Missed you too....you'll have to call her soon, Mom that is," Robbie said. She realized how uncomfortable this must be for him. Especially since he didn't remember their last meeting. She had left after her sister had publicly called her a freak at her engagement party. Amber's fiance had sniggered and smiled as Monica left, tears in her eyes. Only now she knew what she was, if not how to control her dreams. She would be smart not to talk about them at all. Instead just write and draw what she had seen. 

"Can you drive me there? Today?" she asked, loading their dishes in the dishwasher. Robbie shrugged and nodded. She smiled before going to her room to grab her towel. As soon as she had gone into her room she paused.
"Stop hiding Castiel, she said, turning to see the angel facing her. His face looked tired and there was a pale bruise on his cheekbone. She stepped forward, hands crossed over her chest but not as angry any more.
"What happened to you?" she asked, concerned by his ragged appearance. He sighed and sat on the bed.

"I got you out of there and brought you here. Your brother was very distressed so I erased any memory of ever being in contact with an angel. He won' t remember seeing you or Zachariah taking you. I sorted out everything. For you, Monica," he said. She nodded, grateful, and glanced at him.
"I'm sorry...for what I said. I was angry and-," she started but he stopped her.
"You were right. That was no way to treat you. I should've been more truthful to you and Dean." he said, a certain pain in his voice.

"He isn't talking to you, is he?" she said softly. He looked up into her eyes, and nodded. 
"Yes, the Winchesters think I'm dead. I have other things to do that I need your help with." he said. Monica nodded but bit her lip, unsure of what the task would entail.
"I have to see my mother quickly...to explain" she said. Castiel nodded and stood up. Before he could go, she grabbed his hand. His eyes glanced at her hand in his before looking at her.
"Thank you...for saving me and Robbie" she said before kissing him on the cheek. He smiled slightly before disappearing.

After showering, she got rid of the old and tattered clothes in her bag and changed them for the spare clothes she had kept at Robbie's. By the door, Robbie had his jacket and held the door open for her. They left his apartment and where at the top of the marble staircase. She remembered the cold drip of blood staining the pristine white of the marble and shuddered.
"You cold?," Robbie asked. She shook her head as they entered the hustle and bustle of New York. He hailed a taxi that would take them back to their family home on Long Island. As the taxi crawled through the concrete maze that was the city, Monica sorted out her thoughts. Sam and Dean had probably gone back to Bobby's.