chapter thirteen.

Monica stared at the woman who had helped her harness her powers weeks ago.
"You know this...woman" Dean asked, peering at her, trying to look through the veil.
"Come this way" Lachesis said, walking deeper into the wood like area. Monica looked up at the glass ceiling before following her.

"She came to me in a vision...its a long story" Monica explained to Sam and Dean as they walked over branches and twigs.
"With what's happened so far to us, I'm not even gonna ask how that's possible" Sam said. She turned back to smile at him as they stopped. Lachesis turned to Monica in silence.
"This is where I leave you" she said. Before Monica could say something she was gone.
"Don't worry, she's one for dramatic exits. My name is-" an old man started before Dean cut him off.

"Yeah we know you're Joshua, look we need to speak to God" Dean said. Joshua looked between them and shook his head sadly.
"What is it?" Sam asked, looking at the angel cautiously. Monica bit her lip, suddenly nervous.
"He is aware of what is going on down on Earth ; He saved you from Lucifer when he rose. Stopped Lucifer from taking you then, Monica" Joshua said.
"Then where is he?" she asked. Joshua gave her a knowing look and she looked to the floor.
"He is on Earth, but the amulet won't find him, he doesn't want to intervene in the Apocalypse....and he thinks you shouldn't either. He doesn't think it's his problem" he said.

They all stood in shocked silence for a minute. It was Dean who spoke first, his voice laced with anger.
"How could he...?" Dean started but just trailed off, almost shaking with anger.
"He has to care, he says he cares about us, about humanity. John chapter 13 verse 34 ' as I have loved you, love one another'. Are you telling us that's not true?" Monica said, her voice rising with anger. Everything about it was unfair, they'd lost everything just to be told that God didn't give a damn.
"I am sorry Monica, Sam and Dean. I truly am" Joshua said, emotion cracking his voice. Sam looked away, hand clenched into fists.

"Yeah well...its not like we haven't been here before. Just another dead beat Dad with a bunch of excuses. We'll make it." he sneered, even though she could tell he was upset. They all were. Monica wanted to sit and cry, to rip someone apart, to be angry. But it just simmered underneath, threatening to burst.

"Except you don't know if you will...It weighs you down doesn't it Monica? Knowing what can and will happen" Joshua said turning his attention to her. She looked at him, blinking back her tears.
"I um...didn't think God of all people would abandon us...guess I was wrong" she said. He didn't say anything for a moment.

"What about Lucifer?" she asked, facing him.
"You won't be able to kill him. And you won't be able to stop him Monica. Not when your role in this is so heavily tangled with that of Lucifer's and Sam's," Joshua explained. Sam let out a dry laugh and glared at him.
"Because this couldn't get any better. How do we know you're not lying?" Sam asked. Monica shook her head and turned away from them.

"Know that I believe in you and I wish I could do something more" he said. Dean scoffed and shook his head. Joshua sighed and snapped his fingers.

When Monica opened her eyes, she was back at the table with the laptop in front of her. She jumped up and looked to see Dean and Sam asleep as if nothing had happened. She stepped closer, seeing there was no bullet holes in their chests. She sat on the bed, next to Sam and gently shook him.
"Sam, wake up" she said. He opened his eyes and sat up rapidly, arm extending instinctively to wake Dean.
"Whoa!...Do you guys..." she asked before Dean nodded with a dark expression on his face.

"Then we're really on our own" she said as Sam sat up, she wriggled back to sit next to him. They were all silent for a moment when Monica looked up and saw Castiel standing there.

"Well?" he asked, his face expectant of some good news. Monica saw the amulet hang in his hands and got up.

"We aren't getting any help from up there....God's gone" she said softly. In the heavy silence around the room, the weight of her words finally hit them all; that they were alone. Castiel said nothing, silently handing Dean back his necklace.
"You should have this back," was all he said.
"Cas-," Dean started but Castiel had disappeared. Monica got off Sam's bed and grabbed her coat.