chapter ten.

"Monica?," Castiel asked. She blinked and saw she had stumbled backwards into Sam's arms. He helped her up, resting a hand on her waist to steady her.
"We need to find out where these reapers came from," Monica said. 
"So we split up?," Sam asked. She turned to look him in the eyes. What he really wanted was for her to stay with him. 

"I'll be fine," she said, kissing him softly. She saw Dean look away and paused, wanting to say something but Jo beat her to it.

"Hey Monica...I wanted you to have this," she said handing Monica a small medallion on a silver chain.
"Saint Jude, patron saint of hope," Monica said.
"Yeah, my dad gave it to me. I want you to keep it in case I don't....," Jo started. Monica shook her head.

"I'll see you soon, Jo Harvelle," Monica insisted. Jo paused before hugging Monica fiercely.
"You're like a sister to me Monica Davis," she muttered into Monica's hair. Monica smiled and let go quickly running to catch up with Castiel. Before they turned the corner she looked at Dean. Their eyes paused, connected and neither one of them willing to let go. Slowly she waved before breaking eye contact and walking away. Even round the corner she could feel the intensity of his eyes.

"This way," Castiel said, pointing to a warehouse basement nearby. Holding her gun ready, they walked forward. Castiel wrenched the door open and they descended down metal steps, the sound echoing off the walls. Monica paused at the foot of the steps as Castiel walked into the middle of the room. 

"Cas," she started before someone threw a match onto the floor. A ring of fire lit up around Castiel, trapping him there. He looked up in shock as a man stepped forward.

"Lucifer, let him go," Monica said stepping forward. With a flick of his wrist she was slammed against the wall, all the air pushed out of her. Gasping she stared at Lucifer as he glanced at her.

"Angels can't touch you but I'm no angel...still I probably just made a dent," he said. She licked her lip tasting blood where she had bit down hard.
"Why are you doing this? You'll be alone no matter what you do," she said. He blinked , a look of hurt flickering across his face for a second.
"You can kill and act like your some big tough guy but deep down you know you'll never have what you want...a family," she sneered. He scowled and turned away from her.

"You know Castiel, you and I are much alike. I rebelled, I was cast out. You rebelled , you were cast out. Almost all of heaven want me dead, and if they succeed, guess what? Your their new Public Enemy Number One. We're on the same side, like or not, so why not just serve your own best interests? Which in this case happen to be mine,"Lucifer said. Castiel glanced at Monica and she could tell he was actually thinking about what Lucifer was saying. Lucifer was the only thing holding Heaven back from killing Cas.

"Cas, please..don't listen to him," she pleaded. Lucifer scoffed and waited for Castiel to answer.
"I might've betrayed Heaven...but I will never stand with you," Castiel stated. Lucifer nodded slowly before grabbing Monica. She felt heavy metal cuffs bind her hands together.
"Well...nice knowing ya," he said before they disappear.

"What are you going to do to me?," she asked quietly. They were in the field, surrounding by men with black eyes.
"Don't even try to run or these men will rip you to shreds. Now that may not kill you but it will definitely hurt like Hell....see what I did there," he said with a smile on his face. In front of her was a glass basin set on a marble pedestal. It was already filled with certain ingredients.
"You see if I want this whole Apocalypse thing to work I need to...get rid of a few powerful people, like Michael and Raphael with ease. You know the best way to do that was to control Death," Lucifer started.

"Death?," she asked. He nodded eagerness in his eyes.
"Yes, Death. The big bad boss those reapers are waiting for. You saw them right?," he asked. She nodded slightly, her eyes always on the demons around her.
"What do you need me for then?," she said. He tutted and stroked her cheek slightly.