chapter twenty - seven

"So, that's everything. I believe it's what you would call a...Tragedy from the human perspective. But maybe the human perspective is...Limited. I don't know. That's why I'm asking you, Father. One last time. Am I doing the right thing? Am I on the right path? You have to tell me. You have to give me...A sign. Give me a sign. Because if you don't...I'm gonna ju-- I'm gonna do whatever I... Whatever I must."

Castiel knew what he had to do. She was ready, she had been ready for quite a while but he had put it off, completing his mission. He remembered when she first learnt of angels, how ready she had been to accept them, without knowledge of how ruthless they could be. To know he felt different like her, that she could rely on him. He'd died before but to know he was doing this to her and the Winchesters was a different death. A painful one.

Sam sat in the bar, his head throbbing in pain. He knew Robin, the bar owner, was looking at him with worry. He could feel it, knowing he had been looking for someone. Someone more important than anything else. He frowned as he reached into his pocket and brought out the picture. A smiling girl in a pink top and jeans. He could remember her not liking the fact he'd wanted to keep it, him laughing and saying it was cute. But he couldn't remember what she had said. It had been important to him. But after....his mind wasn't in the right place and he couldn't bring the words to his lips. He needed to hear them, to hear her say them. He could barely remember anything except for her.

He could only remember her name.

***

Monica couldn't move. Her limbs felt like ice and she'd long since forgotten what it was like to be conscious for more than a few minutes. Only the pain never left her, always by her side. She'd learned to let it in, to even hold onto it. Because she had given up on it ever leaving completely.

Crowley had tried over and over again to get Monica to remember what she'd seen. It had almost been two years since her first vision.She had been young and scared of what she could do. Monica remembered burying what her mind had showed her deep in the back of her memory. Because it was too much to bear, she could feel it ripping her apart. All she wanted to do was close her eyes, drift off forever. Something held her back. Or someone, she couldn't recall who they were. The door opened and a figure stepped inside. Her vision was fuzzy as they came closer.

"Lets try again" Crowley said, standing behind her. For a moment her hands tensed in panic before slackening as she slipped back into the darkness.

"Monica? Are you coming out of your room?" Robbie called from the other side. She sat with her back pressed against the headboard, staring blankly at the wall. She could hear him but her mind was further away. The images that flashed before her were vivid in a flurry of colours.

Ebony wings, bright green eyes, red blood, the car, the man , a kiss, then pain. She bit down on her lip, trying not to scream. Monica pulled the covers over her head. Robbie had long gone and she knew her parents were downstairs discussing her situation with their family doctor. Under the covers, in the pink haze of her duvet, she let the tears fall. She was scared, fearful that her mind was broken. Something had happened and she didn't know why it hadn't affected Emily.

Her room was littered with printouts of people who had survived being run down, but none had talked about visions of the future. That's what they were, images of what would happen. Robbie would drop a bottle of milk, Amber's boyfriend would break off their relationship. All she could do was watch.

"Screw you Jake!" Amber said from the other side of the wall. Monica heard the thump of her older sister throwing her phone. Monica wanted it to stop, everything to stop. What she had seen-