chapter twenty-one

They sat in Mia Stravinsky's living room with cups of tea in hand. Mia sat in front of the three of them, her silvery grey eyes staring at Monica. She was beautiful, with sharp cheekbones and porcelain skin. Even her silvery hair was pretty, matching the shade of her eyes Her elegant features were slightly marred by a thin scar on her neck.
"You came here for a reason, I hope" she said softly, breaking the silence. Liam and Amber glanced at Monica waiting for her to speak.

"You know what I am, don't you" Monica said, getting straight to the point. Mia set her cup down and regarded her with cool eyes.
"You manipulate time to see what you need to see. You've been called many things throughout history: soothsayer, oracle, wise woman, clairvoyant....monster" she explained.

Amber shared a look with Liam ; Monica had only been vague about what she could do with Amber and she hadn't told Liam at all.
"I know that...I came because you have extensive knowledge on...well, me" she asked. Mia took a delicate sip of her tea and sighed. She waited for Monica to speak.

"My powers aren't working" she said, hiding the anger growing inside her. Mia frowned as Amber leaned forward waiting for the witch's verdict.
"I've heard of your powers Monica. You don't just take over the Devil and then stop working....I think the problem isn't with you, its with the person you cannot see" she said. Amber frowned and put down her bag.

"Monica isn't blind" she said. Mia shook her head and took a book from the pile next to her. She opened a book, pointing to the drawing of a strange eye.
"Her mind's eye, what she uses to see what others do not....Time is fluid, Monica, and as a seer you manipulate it constantly. To do what you do you need an element that's always there; that never changes." Mia explained.
"You mean like a anchor" Liam said. Mia nodded and put the book down.

"A lot can change a man but one thing will always stay the same. His soul" she said. Monica looked at Mia, her mind replaying all her interactions with Sam and Dean. With Dean there was this loud silence, as though he wanted to say something but he couldn't, like something was stopping him. But with Sam there was nothing; a void.

"I think that answers your questions, does it?" Mia asked. Monica looked at the witch, her expressionless face and got up.
"Can I talk to Mia alone?" she asked. Liam and Amber shrugged and got up, her sister patting her shoulder.
"Call if you need us" Liam said before they left.

"Are you saying Sam has no soul?" she asked. Mia contemplated before moving to the kitchen.
"I don't know, I'm not the seer.....but you can't read him, yes? Nothing gets past someone like you, so that could be a possibility " the woman mused. Monica swallowed and looked at her bag.

"He'll most definitely lie...if you're thinking of calling him" Mia said. She was right. Monica grabbed her bag and stood up, headed for the door.
"Thanks for everything" she said before leaving the house. Walking down the steps she scowled in annoyance.
"Nice to see you Crowley" she said looking up to see the short Scot standing against the car with Liam's shotgun to his chest.

"You know this jerk?!" Liam asked incredulous. Amber shared an equally shocked expression.
"This jerk is the King of Hell, you should show him some respect" Crowley said indignantly. Amber raised and eyebrow and looked to Monica.
"He's joking, right" she said. Monica shook his head and pulled Liam back away from Crowley.

"You two should go" she said, quickly hugging Amber. Liam looked like he wanted to stay but one look at her sister told her that Amber understood.
"C'Mon tiger. Let leave Monica with His Highness" Amber said mockingly. Crowley smiled as Monica watched the two get into the car. She waved slightly before pushing Crowley.
"Ow! What was that for?!" he asked, rubbing his arm. She shook her head as they started walking.