chapter eighteen.

Monica sat in the corner, her arms wrapped around her knees. Her mind went over what had happened over the last three hours. It seemed like ages since she was with Sam. Instead whenever she looked at him, she saw the Devil instead.

He stood in front of a circle of five people, flexing his right arm. Monica watched as he conversed with himself, probably talking to Sam. She had already exhausted herself trying to control Lucifer but now he was in his true vessel, he was beyond powerful. All she'd got was one word from Sam. Sorry. Monica closed her eyes, resting against the wall as she listened to the sound of Sam/Lucifer killing the demons who had followed him his entire life.

"Why so sad, Monica?" someone said, shaking her out of her sleep. It was morning and the sun shone through the window, making her squint. For a second she tricked herself into believing she had come into Sam's room at night and it was another day of hunting.
"Leave me alone Lucifer" she mumbled, turning away. He violently turned her head to face him, pain shooting up her neck.
"No Monica, you and I will be together for a while longer.....I've gotta say, Sam is one lucky man to have a girl as beautiful as you" he said tracing a line down her jaw. She swatted his hand away and got up shakily.

"He was....Sam's not here anymore" she said, trying to hide her tears. Lucifer turned her towards him and gently wiped away a tear.
"You break my heart with your Romeo and Juliet crap...why don't you show me what you've got Monica?" he sneered.

*****

"In between jobs, Sam and Dean would sometimes get a day – sometimes a week, if they were lucky. They'd pass the time lining their pockets. Sam used to insist on honest work, but now he hustles pool, like his brother. They could go anywhere and do anything. They drove 1,000 miles for an Ozzy show, two days for a Jayhawks game. And when it was clear, they'd park her in the middle of nowhere, sit on the hood, and watch the stars... for hours... without saying a word. It never occurred to them that, sure, maybe they never really had a roof and four walls but they were never in fact homeless"

Monica could taste blood in her mouth and groaned , pushing her body into a sitting position. Her blood was on Lucifer's knuckles and he crouched down in front of her.
"Now...that was fun, wasn't it?" he asked, his voice full of menace. She looked away, spitting out blood. She was certain her wrist was sprained and that she'd broken a rib when Lucifer kicked her. Winching she rose to her feet.
"I am not helping you. You can beat me all you like....you'll kill me before I help you" she said. He turned to her, raising a fist before he paused.
"I'd love to argue over what a waste your self-sacrifice would be but I'm running on a schedule and its showtime so let's go" he said, snapping his fingers.

Stull Cemetery, Lawrence Kansas:

Monica knew where they were immediately. She'd had the same dream over and over again over the past couple of days. Just her, standing in the cemetery full of dead loved ones, Sam and Dean dead at her feet. She shook her head and leant against a tombstone. Every breath only caused pain and she was certain Lucifer had only did it to make her weak. She remembered Leah's words, that pain clouded her. Closing her eyes, she breathed shallowly blocking out everything and trying to focus.

"Now isn't the time for meditation" Lucifer taunted. She didn't look up as she started counting down the minutes. Suddenly the sound of wings brings her to her feet.
"Its good to see you Michael" Lucifer said, walking up to him. Monica saw Michael glance at her before looking at his brother.
"You too...It's been too long. Can you believe its finally here?" he asked. Lucifer shook his head.

"Are you ready?" Michael said to both of them. Monica looked away, because she knew that Lucifer wanted her to make sure Michael or Sam didn't interfere.
"Why do we have to do this? I know you don't want to!" Lucifer said, changing his tone. Michael looked at him in slight anger.