chapter twenty - two.

"Mia, hi it's Monica...I know this might be a bad time but can you pick me up?....I need to talk with you......okay......okay, thanks" Monica said before hanging up. It had been two days since she had escaped from Crowley and had been separated from the Winchester's. Dean had left her three messages but Sam had only left one. She looked at it before clicking on the voicemail.

"Hey Monica...it's me, Sam...Dean hasn't told me anything yet, he thinks I need rest but...I don't remember what happened before but...if I said anything while I was soulless I'm sorry. I'm so sorry and I just...I just need you to call me back, okay. Maybe you can help me remember...Call me back,love Sam"

She exhaled slowly, her finger hovering over the call button before closing her phone. If she called them that would just lead demons straight to her. Crowley needed her for something, some sort of task no one else could do. What it was, Monica wasn't sure she wanted to know.
"Is this the colour that you want, Miss?" the woman asked. Monica looked at the box and nodded.

"Are you sure? Not trying to put you off or something but, you're hair is beautiful as it is" the woman said. Monica shook her head. Her straight  long hair reminded her of a girl who used to play the cello, was valedictorian at her high school graduation, who played tennis every Saturday with her father at the club. 

That girl no long existed and Monica hated looking in the mirror and being reminded of all that she lost. That her mom wasn't there to scold her over her choice of dress, her father wouldn't be there to kiss her forehead and tell her she looked wonderful, Robbie wouldn't tease and annoy her. None of that existed either. She just wanted to wash and cut the pain away.

"Do it"she said . The hairdresser nodded and got to work on her hair.

***

"Red, out of all colours, you choose red" Mia Stravinsky said once Monica had exited the salon. She shrugged and ran a hand carefully through her hair.
"I needed the change. So, can you help me?" she asked as they began walking. Monica had been able to move the metal bars of a cage that probably weighted a ton and she wanted to know why. Seeing the future was one thing; possibly moving things with her mind was another.
"I do not know exactly.....but there is a possibility that it has something to do with the Apocalypse." Mia deliberated as they sat down in the booth of a diner. Monica ordered a coffee and waited whilst Mia ordered a full breakfast.
"I don't get what you mean" Monica said. Mia set her bag down next to her before looking at her. The woman's steel grey eyes were unnerving at the least but now they looked dark and sinister.

"The events that unfolded at Stull Cemetery, they pushed your powers to the limit. For someone whose powers emerged only recently that would've put a big strain on them" she said.
"I've had my powers for two years now, almost three" Monica reminded the woman. Mia shook her head, a clear sign that Monica was missing some crucial point.
"Those are baby steps compared to the power of an archangel like Lucifer... I think your powers are evolving" she said.

"Like some kind of metamorphosis?" Monica asked. Before Mia could reply, her phone started ringing. Checking the caller id she saw it was Dean froze. She could feel Mia watching her and quickly declined the call.
"So is this 'evolution' a bad thing or not? Will I die from it?" she asked. Mia chuckled, leaning forward in her seat.

"No you won't die. Your powers are going to start changing and-" Mia started explaining before she was interrupted by Dean ringing Monica again. She reached to switch off her phone when Mia sighed.
"Just pick up the phone or he'll keep on calling" Mia grumbled. Monica sighed and got up, picking up the call.
"I'll be back in a moment" she said before leaving the diner. She walked down the street before holding the phone to her ear.
"Yes Dean" she said, her voice exasperated, sitting on a bench nearby.
"Yes, Dean? That's all you've got to say after just disappearing like that! For god's sake what are you trying to do, give me a heart attack?!" Dean shouted down the phone.

"Calm it will you, I'm perfectly fine." she said. There was a dry laugh on the other end before Dean spoke again.
"We got Sam's soul back...Oh yeah you wouldn't know about that, you were probably off with whatshisname" Dean sneered. She rolled her eyes and leaned back against the wooden bench.
"Oh, that's real mature Dean. No, I wasn't with Liam; he's back with my sister Amber at home. And I'm glad Sam's okay." she argued. She wanted to ask if she could talk to Sam but her mind went against it.

"He's ....not okay"Dean admits quietly. Monica bit her lip when she looked at the lazy passersby. Something was wrong, she just had feeling.
"Dean, I have to go.....Something's up.....Don't worry about Sam, he's strong, okay. Bye" she said in a rush before hanging up. Running, she headed back the direction of the diner.

Pushing the double doors open, she nearly gagged at the scene in front of her. There was bodies everywhere, dead and still and cold. Tripping over limbs, Monica made her way towards Mia's dead body.
"No, no, no,NO! she screamed, shaking Mia's fallen body. Her hands were trembling as she checked for a pulse in vain. They were all dead. Looking up her heart skipped a beat. Written in blood was a message from Crowley; it had to be Crowley. It read:

Who's next, Monica?

***

Monica's head ached from silent tears as she pulled up at Bobby's house. The front yard was empty but the Impala was still there. Getting out of Mia's old car, she ran up the steps and pounded on the door.
"Dean, Sam! Open up, please!" she shouted, her voice shaken and trembling. She couldn't shake the image of Mia's body, the witch's blood on her hands. There was silence as Bobby's door slowly swung open. Stepping inside she walked into the familiar house. The desk in Bobby's library was still cluttered with books on all kinds of lore.

"Hello, is anybody here?" she asked. The house didn't just look empty, it looked abandoned. The kitchen sink was brimming with dishes, Dean's car keys were still on the table. She noticed Sam's jacket draped on a chair and picked it up. It brought back so many memories.
"Sam! Sam, where are you?!" she called. There was a small chuckle behind her.
"They won't here you" a woman said. Monica turned to see a woman standing in front of her. She had straight blond hair and glasses and she was carrying an ornately decorated black book.

"Who are you?" Monica asked, reaching for her gun. The woman smiled.
"I'm just like you" she answered simply. Monica frowned and the woman shook her head.
"You met my sister a long time ago; she opened your eyes to your abilities. I'm Atropos and I need your help" she explained. Monica reluctantly put her gun away, still not entirely sure about trusting the strange woman.

"One of the Three....You're Fate?" she tentatively asked, stepping deeper into the house.
"I'm not Fate exactly, it is a complicated thing. I cut the thread, choose when life ends but I didn't control how long you live unlike my other sister" she said.

Monica leaned against the wall, the weight of all this new information heavy on her shoulders. Sam, Dean and Bobby had seemingly disappeared, Crowley was hunting her down and Castiel was ignoring her prayers. Everything was wrong and puzzling.
"What does this have to do with Sam and Dean not being here?" she asked. Atropos rolled her eyes and held the book tightly.

"Something is not right within Heaven. They have been out of sync, should I say, since the Apocalypse and now they are messing with time. Time that I have struggled to keep on track for more than a millennia" she said. Monica frowned as she remembered the silence and absence of Castiel.
"So Raphael's been messing about; he's waging a civil war. That has nothing to do with Sam and Dean" she countered.
"Not Raphael... an angel much closer to home" she said before taking Monica's hand and everything went dark.

To be Continued.