chapter six.

The sound of her shoes tapping against the stairs echoed as they descended down towards the basement of the building. Monica kept quiet, thinking about the man across the street. She hadn't been able to see his facial features but she just knew it was War; and if he was here things were bad, very bad. Ellen paused at the doorway and turned to them.
"I gathered as much people from the town as I could; they're all a bit shaken," she explained as one man looked up and noticed them. He walked forward and nodded at Ellen before looking at Sam, Dean and Monica.
"Who are these lot?," he asked. Dean gritted his teeth as Sam offered a hand.
"Sam and Dean Winchester, we're friends of Ellen. And this is Monica Davis," Sam said. The man's expression softened slightly at the mention of them being friends with Ellen and shook Sam's hand. Soon they had been introduced to all of the towns people. It was an odd sight; all of them in the basement. Ellen had sorted them into groups, making salt rounds with whatever materials they had. Monica picked up a shotgun and aimed at the wall. 

Memories of her father taking her shooting on a break in the fall, her grandfather standing side by side with his son and grandson, the crisp smell of autumn leaves.
"Don't drop that ,darling," the man said. She turned to see the man who they had been introduced. She smiled and put down the gun.
"I can handle it," she said. He laughed and put the gun back in her hands, his hands on her arms,lifting them to aim at the wall.
"Don't let your arms shake; you gotta keep your gun steady for a good shot," he said before letting her go. She smiled before turning to him.
"How do you know so much about shooting? You look like an ordinary townie," she teased. He chuckled and leaned against the wall.
"I was in the army for a while. I'm Shawn," he said. Monica shook his hand and set the gun down. Over on the other side of the room, she saw an older man staring at her. Something about him made her think she had seen him before but shook her head; it was probably nothing.

"I'm.....," she started before looking towards the doors. She frowned as she spotted Dean and Sam in a heated argument. Running a hand through her hair she smiled sadly at Shawn.
"Gotta go," she said as she crossed the room, dodging people asking for hunting advice. Not that she could be much help with that area any ways. By the time she got to Sam and Dean, they both looked ready to tear each other to pieces.
"What, so you think I'm not capable of hunting?," Sam shouted. Monica quickly closed the door as a few people looked up to stare at them.
"What are you guys trying to do?!," she hissed but they paid no attention. Dean stepped forward menacingly.
"I'm saying you need to stay here; there's tons of demons out there and I don't want you getting tempted to go back to that freaky powers crap," he spat. Sam's eyes darkened as he shook his head.
"So now I'm a freak. What else have you been wanting to say Dean, might as well spit it all out," Sam said giving Dean a rough push backwards. The older Winchester brother only made it worse by landing a punch on Sam's jaw. In no time, they were both violently brawling.

Grabbing the handgun from Dean's bag, she aimed and fired at the wall, inches away from Dean's head. There was a deathly silence as they acknowledged her presence. Sam looked down, shame evident on his face but Dean glared at her.
"Am I a freak too, Dean? Just because I'm different to you or those people in there?," she said, anger in her voice. They were meant to be brothers yet they always seemed to fight.
"That's not what I meant, Monica," Dean said, his tone less angry. He looked her in the eyes, his green irises still holding remnants of anger.
"Either we all go or I go with Ellen and you two stay here," she said, handing Dean his bag. Sam managed a small chuckle as he guided her back to the general crowd.

"You're not going out there," he said. She looked at Dean for support but he shook his head, taking the handgun from her hands.
"Yeah, especially since you nearly took my head off," Dean grumbled, but there was a slight smirk on his lips. She rolled her eyes and took a shotgun from the table, much to the disapproval on their faces.