chapter seventeen.

Dear Amber,

The last time I wrote to you was two years ago, before I left. Back then I thought the gift I had was a curse. I was desperate to get rid of it;of the looks of pity, of disgust. I let everyone believe what I am was bad.They were wrong.      I look back now at how much I've changed, how much the people I've met have changed me. Sam and Dean Winchester are hunters. For someone who thought I was the freak, they're two people who breathe the definition of the word. You wouldn't believe the things they've fought; just so you can sleep easy at night.       They taught me what its like to have family. They're the reason I'm writing to you, Amber. The sister who hated me. Because although family doesn't end in blood.....you're the only person I've got. I guess you'll have to do.      You'll get what you wanted:never seeing me again. No one will. Depends on if I make it.

Goodbye Amber, I'm sorry I couldn't be the sister you wanted.

Monica Davis.

Three days later:

Monica squinted in the sunlight as she shared a drink with Dean and Sam. The three of them sat in comfortable silence, with Sam's hand overlapping hers.
"You're gonna let me say yes" Sam asked looking at both of them. Dean took a long drink from his bottle before answering.
"No. That's the thing. Its not on me to let you do anything. You're a grown - well, overgrown -  man. If this is what you want, I'll back your play" he said firmly. Sam nodded before looking at Monica.
"I don't decide for you, Sam. But you know I'll be there till the end" she added cryptically.
"That's the last thing I though you two would say" he admitted but she could tell there was sadness in his voice. Monica got up, brushing off her jeans.

"Where are you going?" Sam asked, looking at Monica with concern. She turned to look at them , two brothers about to separate, probably forever.

"I forgot something...back in my room. I'll be back soon" she said giving Sam a quick kiss before running up the steps into Bobby's house. Inside the house the hallway was cold. She went upstairs, turning the handle on her door and stepping inside. On the bed was her backpack, filled with all her stuff. Monica knew they weren't coming back but it was strange to think she'd never see the room again.

The sound of her phone ringing snapped her out of her daydream. She reached for it and picked up.
"Hello?" she said wondering who could be calling her right now.
"M-Monica? Is that you?"someone said. She frowned looking towards her window, as if the caller was watching her.
"Who is this? What do you want?" she said, ready to hang up.
"It's me....Amber. I got your letter and -" she started before Monica cut her off.
"Why are you calling me?" she said, a surge of anger rushing into her mind. She could still remember Amber's harmful words, how she practically pushed her out the house and told her to get lost. Why? Because she was different.

"Monica I know you're hurt but" Amber started and Monica scoffed. That was typical Amber; always turning the blame to someone else.
"Give me a break, Amber. I don't know why you're calling and I shouldn't have sent that letter. Like you'd care at all" she snapped before breathing. Her hands were shaking with anger.
"You're right, I was a bitch. Because I didn't understand, okay. I want to understand and I can't if I know you're in danger" she explained. Monica paused before speaking.
"You don't want to know....I'm....not in danger at all" she lied. Although she hated her sister, she felt bad for lying about something like this.

"You're lying! Whatever it is I can take it....Is it about those Winchesters?" she asked. Monica bit her lip and looked back to her door. She could hear Bobby talking to Sam.
"You want the truth? The real truth?" she asked, knowing she was possibly risking everything.
"Yes, of course" Amber replied and Monica sighed. She was ready for Amber to say she was crazy, that she was a nut job.