12. Working Together?

Ashley's P.O.V.

            Luke and I have decided to work together as a mutual agreement.  This ought to be interesting.  We shall see what happens. 

            I'm walking into school when I see groups of people standing around in little groups whispering and sneaking glances at me.  As if I don't already know they're talking about me and the towel incident.  Well, I'm not going to let it affect me.  I have to be the bigger person then these people who will believe anything they hear, unless it comes from me of course.

            I approach my locker, but there's people standing near it talking about me.  All I managed to hear was something about me being stupid.

            Instead of saying something rude like most people would expect me to do, I turn on my heels and take the stairs to my English class.  Once inside, I find a seat next to Seth and give him a fake smile.  Hopefully, he won't notice the falseness of it.  I'm not into people knowing how I feel.  Unfortunately, our teacher gives me another project, so thankfully, I am selected to work with Seth for it.

            "Hey," Seth greets me with a small smile.

            "Hi."

            "So, did you come up with any good ideas for our project?"

            "Which one?  The art project or the English project?"

            "Both."         

            I look at him and frown.  Crap.  "To be honest, I haven't thought about it all.  I was busy all last night."

            Seth simply nods.  "Ok, I was thinking for the art project we could use recycled materials to make it a little more original, but do you want to hear my genius idea for this English project?" 

            "Sure."

            "I was thinking we could make our project about how some stories, mostly romance, are completely fake.  I mean I know the majority of them are fiction, but still they seem more like fantasy romance and then it causes girls to fall for these imaginary boys in these stories.  Or some of them make all guys sound like real jerks.."

            I just look at him.  Wow.  That's quite a bit of a beef to have with romance novels. 

            He stares at me.  "You don't like it, do you?"

            "No, no.  It's a good idea.  I just never realized you hated romance novels so much."

            "Oh..  Well, my sister reads them all the time and she's always saying how she loves Edward Cullen and crap like that and to be honest, I find it really creepy."

            I can't hold in my laughter anymore.  "So your sister is in love with Edward Cullen?  She's all for those team vampires?"  He nods.  Oh wait..  He has a sister?  "Wait.. You have a sister?"

            "Yeah.. Evelyn.  She's a sophomore.  Very strange girl too.  Scares off all the guys who end up liking her."

            "Hm.  Evelyn does sound familiar now that you mention.  She scares them off?  That's horrible!"

            "Me, personally, I'm pretty glad she does."  I stare at him in horror.  "It's not that I don't want my sister to be happy, but all the guys she ends up dating are horrible jerks and it wouldn't last anyway."

             "Ah.  That makes sense.  Does she go after guys like Ashton?"

            Seth nods.  "I really wish she would realize she deserves much better, but she never wants to listen to anything I say."

            "Aw.  I wish I had siblings, but I never got any.  My parents always said they didn't want any more kids because they didn't have the time, but I always think of it as they don't like each other enough to have another kid."

            "Really?  My parents are always acting like teenagers in love.  And that isn't just at home.  They do that in public too and it's kind of weird and gross."

            "Yeah, I bet.  Eesh.  I'm glad I don't have that, but it would be nice if my parents could get along a bit better."

            At that moment, our teacher comes around and we quickly change our conversation back to our project so it'll look like we're on task.

            So far, I'm pretty shocked about Seth.  He isn't like other guys.  He's nice.  He's smart too.  Why can't I have dated guys like that in the past?  I'm really starting to wonder what else I've missed out on while I was in my own little fantasy world.

Note

Ok so not very eventful (my apologies).  This story has been kind of hard for me to write lately, but I think I'm starting to get the big picture again so hopefully that will help.  Anyway, I'd like to say thanks to all my readers! :)