Chapter 34

I get off of Nixon's lap, my legs having a mind of their own

I get off of Nixon's lap, my legs having a mind of their own. From the looks of it, we were doing something extremely different than me crying on his shoulder. The thing is, I don't see why Hunter would care. He already acted like he didn't give a shit about me.

"Hunter..." I trail off, but his glare is transfixed on Nixon who is also staring at him deadly.

"What are you doing in here?" Hunter's deep, baritone voice bounces off the wall of my temporary room.

"That's none of your business," Nixon replies. I snap my head to look at him. Why didn't he just tell Hunter why he was really in here?

"I think it is," Hunter scowls. "I'm supposed to be protecting her so I would like to know what your doing in a room alone with her on your lap."

The way he makes it sound is very sexual and the exact opposite of what we were really doing.

"Protecting her?" He scoffs. "Says the guy that hit her with a belt."

"Nixon," I gasp. This should not be happening.

"Say it again, Nixon, I won't hesitate putting a bullet through your head," he growls.

That was hot.

"Hunter, stop," I step between the two men that are currently having a war through their eyes.

"You always say the same thing, cousin," Nixon chuckles darkly. "But you never actually do it. All bark no bite."

"We'll see about that," Hunter pulls a pistol out from the back of his waist hand.

Holy mother of god.

"Whoa," I screech. "Let's all settle down here."

"Do it, I dare you," Nixon narrows his eyes at him.

Don't do it.

"Quit provoking me," Hunter mutters.

"Nixon stop," I push him away, feeling like I need to defend Hunter when I shouldn't.

"Why should I?" He turns his attention to me.

"Because, this could end badly and I just could really do without the drama," I try to convince him. I don't want anyone getting hurt.

"Jacey, do you not realize what he did to you?"he raises his voice, getting closer to me. "He physically hurt you!"

"Get out of her face," Hunter's husky voice booms through the room. By the look on his face I can see he's close to following through on his promise.

"Like you care," he seethes.

It happens fast, a loud popping noise fills the small space making me cover my ears. Then there's an ear piercing scream of pain.

Hunter shot Nixon.

"Oh my god!" I choke out, my legs already on the move towards Nixon, but a muscular arm wraps around my waist, holding me to them. "Let me go! I have to help him!"