Chapter 38

I feel Hunter's eyes on me, everybody's actually. They're all wondering what's gotten in to me, why I'm all of a sudden giving Hunter the cold shoulder.

My heart screams at me to not believe Nixon and then my mind is telling me that I have logic over reasoning. Which one is more reasonable?

I mean, Hunter said it himself, right? He couldn't stand me up until a few weeks ago. So what changed?

"Can you pass me the beans?" I ask Sheldon, looking up at him.

"Wh-yeah," he smiles and hands me the bowl of green beans.

"Thanks," I mumble and pile my plate. Bobbie makes the first move to start up conversation around the table and for that I am thankful. It's one thing for me to be ignoring Hunter's scrutinizing gaze, but it's another to pretend that everyone's silence doesn't effect me.

I remove my eyes from my food when I'm sure no one is looking, but when my gaze meets Nixon's I nearly choke on food.

He smiles, showing off his white teeth.

There's a fist that bangs on the table making all the glasses and utensils clink together. My eyes snap to Hunter subconsciously, where he stands up from his chair, seething. Not at me, but Nixon.

"I told you to fucking stay away from her," he growls making me jump.

I've seen Hunter mad a million times, but this time has to go down in a record book. If he were a cartoon, there'd be steam coming out of his ears and foam at the mouth.

"Sorry, cousin," Nixon glares at him. "I didn't think you were making decisions for her now."

"Don't mock me," he snaps. "You can't just listen to me for once can you?"

My eye brows scrunch in confusion, staring at Nixon then Hunter.

"Honestly," Nixon stands up, his chair making a noise on the marble floors. "I don't think it's your place to say. I mean what? You think now that you've fucked her, you have some claim on her?"

"It's not about that," Hunter narrows his eyes.

"Then what is it about? Huh?" Nixon smirks, staring straight into Hunter's eyes. "She your girlfriend? You love her? Didn't think do. We all know that your plan was to fuck her anyway."

"We all need to calm down," Bobbie says, glaring at Nixon.

"Unlike you," Hunter's voice is deep as he speaks. "I care for her."

"I find that hard to believe," Nixon laughs dryly. "Just a month ago you were calling her a bitch."

"People change."

"Stop," Bobbie growls out, but nothing could stop these boys.

As for me, I'm watching the congregation unravel in front of my eyes. I don't know what to think or what to say about all this. Hunter said he cares for me, but Nixon has a good point too.

"No. Priorities change and right now your only priority is to deflower Jacey, which you already did," Nixon argues, a smug smile on his face.

Who is this?

"Shut up!" Hunter barks. "Just shut the fuck up."

"I'm right," Nixon smirks. "And you know it, Jacey knows it; everyone in this goddamn room knows it!"

In no time, Hunter is lunging for Nixon, his body forcing his cousin to the ground with a loud thud. A strangled scream escapes my lips, and I back away from the table as the two men go at it.