Chapter 10. Fire

Gray was hiding behind the table, crouching and could see Natsu. The camera was around his neck and Makarov looked at Natsu. "Sir, can you show me where my parents should sign?" Natsu asked. He didn't know why he had saved someone who he disliked but he did it anyways. As Makarov showed him where to sign, Gray ran out of the room. Natsu felt like hitting his head on the table but that would just be too much.

o.O.o

Gray and Natsu were sitting on a bench near the fields. "Thanks, for helping...I didn't know you would save me..." Gray thanked him.
"That's what friends are for. Also, to be a good friend, Lucy is really sorry. All she had been doing was moping around..." Natsu said. It was because she had feelings for Gray, but because she had lost two of her best friends. Natsu wanted to set things right between them. He wanted Lucy to be happy.
"Tell her that I forgive her. I guess, people do have other things to do. I can't just rely on her all the time..." Gray said.
"I'll tell her," Natsu patted his back.

o.O.o

It was the end of the day and it was time for Natsu to go to his detention. He walked into this form room and sat down. Behind him was Laki and Lisanna. They were batting their eyelashes and smiling at him. Flare was nowhere to be seen. "Hi, Natsu..." They said dreamily at him. He didn't notice it.
"I swear there were three of you this morning," Natsu said to them.

o.O.o

Levy and Flare were at the science department, revising for science. They had worked on chemical equations and worked on balancing them. Finished variations and everything they needed to work on. "Oh, looky! The last class didn't clean up the chemicals! Come on, let's do some real science!" Flare got up.
"We really shouldn't be doing this!" Levy said. Lucy walked into the classroom to apologize to Levy. Levy had noticed the footsteps and turned around.
"And what do you want?" Levy said.
"I wanted to apologize, I'm sorry. The way I was acting was rude and..." Lucy said.
"Whatever, just go away. I need to think!" Levy said. Lucy took off. She wanted her friends back, and if she wanted that she had to respect her space. Not all friendships were perfect, she knew that. Levy and Flare were midway through an experiment. Flare had snuck away. Levy had realized that and started to clean up.

o.O.o

"You're free to go," Makarov said to the students. Natsu had stood up and gone to the door. He was about to open the door but was stopped.
"So, Natsu! Who so you think is prettier?" Lisanna asked.
"We don't care who you choose!" Laki said. Natsu didn't want to choose either of them. He couldn't believe what he had been asked. He didn't find any of these humans attractive.
Get out, now!" Makarov groaned. Natsu took this chance to disappear before they could ask anything else.

o.O.o

Lucy rushed back to Levy. She couldn't help it. She wanted an answer and fast. She couldn't help being away from her number one best friend. Levy was crouched down on the floor, cleaning spilled chemicals. Lucy rushed over and had begun to help. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself!" Lucy said as she cleaned it.
"I know, I forgive you. I'm sorry for being such a brat!" Levy laughed. Lucy joined in. The chemicals on the table above them were mixing together. The table had been set on fire.
"Do you smell something?" Lucy asked Levy. She was sure she had smelled smoke.
"Smells like smoke..." Levy said. Both their eyes widened and they looked at the table, it was on fire. The fire was catching on to everything. Levy was coughing from the smoke. Lucy looked away from the fire quickly and set the fire alarm off.

o.O.o

Natsu was walking the corridors and heard the alarm. He ran in the direction of the alarm and opened the door. Levy was on the floor and Lucy was coughing. "Luce!" Natsu yelled. He could feel his darker side rising up like hers.
"Run! Get help!" Lucy yelled at him. She had to push him away for him to snap out of it and run. He had run into Gray on the way to find help.
"Second time today?" Gray asked.
"NO! There is really a fire! Science department! Lucy and Levy! Go! I'm gonna get a teacher!" Natsu said. His face was red and his eyes had turned back to normal. His tanned skin was back to normal, not covered with black veins. They had run the opposite directions of each other.

o.O.o

Lucy had knelt down on one knee, coughing. She had thought that Levy was unconscious. Her eyes were amber, her veins were turning, her gums were turning black, and she could feel her self-control slipping away. The room was up on smoke and she couldn't hear any footsteps until a few corridors away. She had heard Natsu and Gray's voice. One of the voices had calmed her down enough to kneel down. She cowarded up into a ball. Her side was on the heated floor and she had let go of her knees. Her arms and legs were sprawled on the floor and her eyes were open. Levy fluttered her eyes open and saw Lucy's amber eyes. Lucy had shut them, she was unconscious. Levy closed her eyes in fear, her friend was a monster.

o.O.o

By the time Gray had arrived, Natsu was there with the teacher. Gray had both girls in hand and Natsu took Lucy off of him. Makarov went in with the fire extinguisher. Natsu and Gray lay the girl against the wall until they woke up. Lucy fluttered her eyes open and looked around. She hissed in pain and put her wrist against her temple. Her headache was gone but the pain was from almost transforming but never quite getting there. She had then felt something warm around her neck. She looked down and saw a white scarf with black crisscrosses on it. It was strangely warm in the scarf and it felt nice. "It's mine, don't worry, you looked cold," Natsu said to her. She had forgotten that there were other people with her.
"Eekk! I-I saw...saw..oh, my..." Levy stuttered, she had woken up. She had looked at Lucy with fear and fascination. Her best friend was a werewolf.

o.O.o

"I know what I saw! She changed in the fire!" Levy said to Gray. He couldn't believe the junk he was hearing. No way was his crush/best friend a werewolf. Lucy would have killed them long ago!
"No, you were delirious, Levy! It was the smoke!" Gray said. Levy scowled as she shook her head.

o.O.o

Lucy walked to school in the morning and stayed away from the fields, she had learned her lesson. She got the glass tube out of her satchel and opened the lid. "What is that? It smells!" Gray cringed. Lucy shrugged as she drank it, the werewolf inside of her was going to have to wait.
"Let me guess, a werewolf potion?" Gray laughed.
"Huh?" Lucy asked.
"Get this, Levy thinks you're a werewolf! She supposedly, saw you change in the fire!" Gray laughed. Lucy laughed along, nervously.

o.O.o