Chapter 16: Preparing For Battle

I woke up earlier than I wanted due to the sun glaring in my face. I rolled over, irritated. Why the hell is the sun shining so bright at five in the freaking morning? I complained to myself. I yanked the covers off to go adjust that doofy looking Scooby Doo blanket when I realized the glow was not coming from the sun.  

I turned slowly to the faint glow and saw that not only had the pot reassembled itself, but inside, was a tree. The main significance of this tree was it was about as tall as a human hand facing upward, but it was in full bloom. Magical golden, green and red lights seemed to swirl around the tree, and they spiraled around it creating an invisible oval orb around it. The green leaves swayed in the breeze created by the magical spiraling lights. 

I stared stuck on stupid staring at the magical tree. Then I remembered what the witch had said about it supposed to be helping me keep track. Wow. Impressive, I had to admit. 

Beats having a fragile rose in a jar..

I had seen the movie enough times to know the story of the rose the Beast was forced to keep. Though, this was a little extreme, I knew what would happen when the tree died.  

I would be stuck like this forever. 

When the sun rose a little bit higher, I did my best to look even more exhausted on top of how exhausted I already looked. I didn't comb my hair, and I picked even more raggedy looking clothes. When I walked to the kitchen I overheard my fake parents having a quiet and serious discussion about me. 

"So what are we gonna do?" fake mom whispered. 

"Simple: we give her karate lessons, boxing, too if necessary." 

Well. Don't need those

"Do you have any idea how much those cost?!"  

"Well it doesn't matter! I wont have my daughter being beaten up every day!" 

"Where are we gonna get the money!?" fake mom seemed frustrated now. She wanted to help, I could tell, she just knew we didn't have the money to. 

This being brought to his attention there was a pause. He hadn't thought of that. "I'll pay," he said with finalization. 

I trudged in then. They didn't need to waste money on me. I was the last person who needed to learn how to defend myself. The conversation ended abruptly when I entered. Fake mom turned quickly to the sink to hide her threatening tears and Fake Dad smiled gave me a fake smile. "Morning Princess." 

"Don't call me that.." I muttered slumping over to the table and slouching down.  

My fake parents exchanged looks I wasn't meant to see. "Would you like some eggs, dear?" 

I sighed, "no thank-you mom. Hey, you know, I'm feeling pretty tired. Ya know, long day and all. So what...are....you..." I closed my eyes and slumped my head, taking on the stance of someone who dozed off mid-sentence. I waited. 

"Is she...?" 

"I think so. Princess?" Fake Dad asked softly. 

I jerked my head up. "Yes? What? Oh...sorry." I glanced at my watch, "Oh gosh! Look at the time!" I yawned again, really hamming it up, "I better get to school..." the fact that I said this during my yawn made it that much more effective. 

I was just about to get up and limp back to my room when fake mom stopped me, "Dear, dear, why don't you stay home today..." 

I looked at her in feigned shock. "Miss school? But I really wanna go... I may have a hard time with the the other girls but," *cue yawn*, "I feel that my education.....is......more...importan....." *cue doze number 2*