Chapter 34: Choosing the Perfect Dress

Standing a little ways back from us, behind Anna so she couldn't see, was the witch Samantha Stone. She was leaned against the door of a closed down store, her lime green eyes glaring daggers at me. But that's not what cause me to scream. She was holding my tree in her hands, and she puckered her lips, blowing air at it. Slowly, more leaves began to fall.

"No!" I screamed again.

"Jess? What is it? What's wrong?" Anna turned to follow my gaze but I grabbed her shoulders and quickly turned her away.

"Uh...nothing! It's just uh....I heard they were having a sale at Wet Seal and I really wanna go."

She was confused. "What? Jess I don't understand what about what you were gonna tell me"-

I opened my mouth, wanting to tell her so bad. But then I glanced behind her at the witch. She glared once more and her chest rose, prepared to blow more leaves off my tree and lessen my time. "I...you know what? I'm...not...bisexual..."

Her brows furrowed. "What?"

I shrugged, "I'm a lesbian. I just told you I was bi because...I thought you would judge me but you didn't so...thanks.." That was definitely not what I wanted to say. But after that dramatic moment when I tried to tell her the truth I knew I had to make up something believable or else she would keep pushing until I told her the truth.

She sighed in relief. "Oh...Jessica... Jessica all you had to do was tell me." she gave me a hug and I glared at the witch over her shoulder, and she smirked in return. "Have you always known?" she asked as she pulled away from our hug.

"Uh....yea..yeah but I thought maybe...I could change or something." I was really just saying anything. I wasn't even listening to my own words as I spoke them. I was just cursing myself mentally and the witch-bitch twice as much. I was definitely running out if time now.

"Well....thank-you for telling me. You know now that I would never judge you and it means so much that you trust me enough to tell me the truth. Thank-you so much!" She hugged me again but I couldn't bring myself to hug her back.

Each day I went in this body that wasn't mine, each day and every moment she got closer to me I was hurting her. I was beginning to think that maybe I should just cut her off. That way I wouldn't have to lie to her face anymore. Before I could fully think that through I glared over her shoulder, but once again the witch was gone.

"Well come on," Anna said pulling me out of my thoughts. "We could go check out that sale that's apparently worth screaming for. And if you don't mind, I would love to try on a few dresses for the dance. You already tried on all the good ones in the entire mall so now you have to help me find a good one that Shelley hasn't forced on you."

I smiled half-heartedly. "Okay." she stood and gave me her hand, and we walked to the next store together, but I just kept wishing I could walk out of this body.

-

-

-

Though the close encounter with the witch has soured my mood, Anna, being the human sun that she was, quickly brightened for me. Her mindless chatter went round and round in pointless circles, and she shared more of her whacked up theories for me. Some of those included how mother nature would look in human form, where the idea of fairy tales like Santa and the Easter Bunny came from, and her thoughts of religion. Most of her theories were in my opinion, completely wrong and ridiculous, but they made me smile, so I humored her and listened.

Finally we went to a dress store that Shelley indeed hadn't dragged me into, to my surprise, and went inside. Though shopping definitely wasn't my thing, I didn't really mind with Anna. She showed me some dresses she was thinking of and I booed all the ones that were too shimmery, too short, or just to...bleh. To her disappointment, I had approved of three. A beautiful white one, a yellow one, and a black one.