Chapter 9

For writteninthestars because her comments make me smile all the time! :)

Chapter 9

"So this corridor leads to that one through this invisible door?" I ask Phil as I look over the blue prints of the house

"Yeah and you know it’s an invisible door when..."

"Fake flowers!" Clara said happily from my lap

"Go Clara! Hi 5!" I hold out my hand and she slaps it with her small hand.

I'm in a better mood today, after my melt down in the shower I made Phil take Clara away and leave me to sort myself out, which I did and I came to the conclusion that I need to learn my way around, keep Clara happy, get over the Mommy thing and try and stay clear of Terry. So today has been dedicated to learning my way around. So far I know that invisible doors are by the fake flowers... That look real. We had been doing this all morning and I still don't understand the layout of the house!

"Lorrie, you’re useless!" Phil laughed at me

"I will grasp it soon!" I say looking back at the maps and blueprints studying them.

"I beg to differ"

"Rude!"

"Stupid?"

"I'm a teacher!"

"A stupid one!"

"You’re such a child!"

"You get distracted easily" he smirked and nodded to the sheets of paper; I just glared at him then focused back on the papers.

"So why has he made the house like this?" I ask after five minutes

"So that people can't find what they want"

"What do you mean?"

"Like how they found you" Phil tells me

"Oh" I stare at the paper.

"Yeah, all his houses and warehouses use the same layouts"

"Why?"

"Because it’s too confusing to change the layout for each"

"So now you admit it’s confusing!"

"Once you get it, it’s easy and your be kicking yourself for not getting it straight away"

"How long did it take you?"

"Few hours" he said smugly

I sat back and tried to concentrate on the maps and how each doorway can lead into a different hallway and why you have to use that stairway and not the other, I have a headache right now

"Explain again"

"If you walk through a visible hallway you get the illusion that someone if following you if you hear noise because the noise bounces from one end to another. So the noise”

"So you go towards the noise to get away from the person?"

"Correct" he smiles at me "the flowers allow you to know if you can escape or hide through a wall or a door. Most of these doors are at the end of corridors" I nod along "the stairs are a key thing to remember, each set of stairs has a different colour carpet. You have to remember what colour for which floor you’re on, in the warehouses its numbers but it starts from a high number to the lowest when you go higher"