Promise? Promise.

*Hey guys! Just letting you know this does get kind of dark, and if you get to it, and want to skip the paragraphs, that's fine. Thanks again!*

Thorin stood before Thranduil. Despite being so small, I could feel the power in his stance. "Some may imagine that a noble quest is at hand. A quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon. I myself suspect a more prosaic move: attempted burglary or something of the ilk." Thranduil's voice rang through the hall. It was leering, as though he didn't really care. He came over, closely inspecting the other King.

"You have found a way in. You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule: The King's Jewel, the Arkenstone. It is precious to you beyond measure. I understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems, of pure starlight. I offer you my help." Thorin's eyes glinted at the prospect of help, but something was underlying.

He slowly spun around, and began to pace in slow, calculating steps. "A favor for a favor."

"You have my word. One king to another." Thorin stopped walking. He began to speak, his voice becoming louder. He had his back to Thranduil still, almost as though he was speaking to the entire Realm.

"I would not trust Thranduil, the great king, to honor his word should the end of all days be upon us!" He spun to face Thranduil, fire burned in his eyes. He pointed at Thranduil. "You lack all honor!" He put his hand over his heart in a fist, thumping in once. "I've seen how you treat your friends. We came to you once, starving, homeless, seeking your help... but you turned your back. You turned away from the suffering of my people and the inferno that destroyed us! Imrad am rad ursul!"

Thranduil swept down from his throne, his face inches from Thorin's. His eyes were narrowed in lividness. "Do not talk to me of dragon fire. I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the north." Thranduil's face contorted, his speech becoming strained and pained. A magic fell away, revealing a hideous red burn scar, stretching from the jaw to his temple on his left. It revealed bone, and only the inside of his mouth was seen. His left eye was milky white, and seemed unseeing. He left it for a moment, allowing Thorin to stare in shock.

He drew away quickly, his face showing nothing as an Elven magic passed over it. "I warned your grandfather of what his greed would summon, but he would not listen." Thranduil turned on his heel, gliding up the stairs to his throne. It seemed to be something like a safety for him. "You are just like him." The Woodland King made a motion with his hand, and guards grabbed Thorin, hauling him away to the dungeons.

"Stay here if you will, and rot. A hundred years is a mere blink in the life of an Elf. I am patient. I waited 65 years for Iridian, and you took her. I can wait."

~ ~ ~

I opened my eyes lazily, used to the feeling of returning to my body. A cell door slammed, and I knew it was Thorin. Perfect timing. "Did he offer you a deal?" Balin asked.

"He did. I told 'ish kakhfe ai'd dur rugnu!'- him and all his kin!" Balin sighed in frustration. I imagined he was shaking his head at the rash king.

"Well... that's it, then. A deal was our only hope."

"Not our only hope." Bilbo. I prayed the Hobbit weaseled his way into the fortress. My mind wandered from the Hobbit, and back to my parents. Questions, thoughts, and none to kind thoughts whirled around. It was a storm I could not escape. I started to lament again. They were brave, standing up for Thranduil.

But why did they have to risk their lives for someone who did not try and help them? I suppose that's what loyalty is, I would do it for Thorin or Kili, but that didn't help. I understand my mother died of natural causes, and that she knew it. She at least had her mind to take care of me. She was selfless, beautiful. She died an honorable death. I wish I could have known her. But my father... That was another story. While he had fought bravely, his death was one I wouldn't want. It made me sad.