Victory?

*Hey guys! So sorry I didn't update. It was Erev Rosh Hashana, which is basically the Jewish New Year's Eve, and so I had to be with family and couldn't update. Thanks for being patient. Ciao!*

The moment he got up, I laid back against the pillows, and my eyes fluttered closed. I hadn't realized how exhausted I truly was until now. I heard Kili shuffling around for a moment, before running his hand along my arm for a moment. The door closed, and that's all I remembered for however long.

"Iridian. You should start to get ready. Balin should come and get us soon."

"How long have I been out?" I mumbled sleepily, sliding off the comfortable bed.

"About an hour or so." I dug around for a dark green tunic, and black trousers. I faced my back to Kili, sliding the trousers on first. I then took off his tunic, sliding mine of with a small whine. My shoulder hurt. I gathered my boots and socks, tying them loosely. I looked into Kili's eyes, to find that he had been staring at me.

A smirk wormed its way on my lips, but it did not reach my eyes. Kili held out his arms, and I walked into them, my arms circling his neck. "I'm sorry." I murmured against his neck. "I wish I could have saved Thorin. You've already lost a father figure, and Thorin's the closest you had. He was the closest I had to an uncle. And... I just feel like I let everyone down. I had the bow, and I had half a dozen arrows, and they all failed."

"Iridian... Like I said, you didn't fail. It all happened for a reason. Stop blaming yourself. Please. Thorin has taught me many lessons, and I know he would not want you to blame yourself. So don't. He owes what time he has left to you."

"What about Fili?" I countered.

"Fili is already preparing for his role as king. With us, he'll be sure to succeed." He kept trying to soothe me. He could tell it wasn't working. His hands slid up to my neck, cupping my face. His calloused hands felt reassuring on my skin. "Stop blaming yourself for things you tried your hardest to prevent. Please." He said. I held his wrists as his thumbs trailed against my cheeks.

"Okay. I'll try." He pecked the tip of my nose. Then someone knocked on the door. I smiled, twining my hand in his. We walked to the door, finding Balin on the other side.

"Ready lad? And lass?" I nodded, seeing Fili behind the white bearded dwarf. His face was drawn in resignation, his features sent in a determined line. We stepped from our room, closing the door. It made an echoing thud. "Thorin won't be there, on account of his wound." Balin started, as we began to walk. "So, that means you three are representing the Durin line." Fili's face almost blanched. My face dropped as well. I wasn't part of the Durin line, nor did I deserve to be.

I reached out, touching his forearm, swallowing my own fear. "Fili." I said softly, catching his attention. He glanced over with wide, worried eyes. "Together. We'll get through this as a team. You're not alone on this. We're a family, a team, package deal. You get all of us, or none."

"Don't isolate yourself to try and be king, brother. We're here for a reason. Right now, we're the princes of Durin, and betrothed. So, we do this together." Kili said, smiling sympathetically. We arrived at the Great Hall, and I heard loud conversing. My courage was left in the halls we were talking in. I wanted to go back and get it, but I knew it would disappear the moment I came back. Kili's hand tightened. "It'll be okay. They'll love you."

"I wouldn't be so sure. Can we just spend time with the company?" I asked in a small voice.

"That was the plan, but there might be people coming up." Fili said.

I took a breath as Balin spoke. I had almost forgotten he was there. He sent us a very grandfatherly look. "Now you three, you'll be alright. There may be a few people coming up, but they realize you need your space. Remember, we're all here too. Are you ready?" We all shared glances, and nodded. Our nerves steeled as one, and we pushed through the door.