Lucky Dwarves... As If

It was Alfrid, and the Master, in his bedchamber. Why did I get called for this? "All this talk of civil unrest; someone's been stirring the pot, sire." He said. The Master had clearly just woken up, and he was standing in his nightgown. Alfrid emptied the Master's chamberpot. I wrinkled my nose in disgust. The Master made a series of small noises as he stumbled around, the man was quite fat. He sat down, rubbing his knees.

"Gah! Auh!" This is the Master of Laketown? He was pathetic. Bard would've been better, dare I say it.

"Gout playing up, sire?" Alfrid's tone was sickly sweet, and he was sucking up to the Master. It disgusted me.

"It's the damp. It's the only possible explanation. Now get me a brandy." He demanded. Alfrid complied.

"The mood of the people, sire, it's turning ugly." Alfrid said as he poured the alcohol.

"They're commoners, Alfrid. They've always been ugly." It's not like they were attractive. They were just as ugly, if not more so. "It's not my fault they live in a place that stink of fish oil and tar. Jobs, shelter, good, that's all they ever bleat about." Like he does anything about it. Besides, they live here too. Alfrid stood, and took a sip of the brandy, before handing it to the Master. The Master downed it in one go.

"It's my belief, sire, they're being lead on by troublemakers."

"Then we must find these troublemakers, and arrest them!" The Master said indignantly. The pair descended the stairs, the Master fully dressed. They headed toward what I would assume was the study.

"My thoughts exactly, sire." Alfrid praised. What a suck up. The Master started drinking another brandy.

"And all this talk of change must be suppressed. I can't afford to let them rebel, band together, and start making noises. The next thing you know, they'll start asking questions, forming committees, launching inquiries." He was afraid of being overthrown for anyone would have been better than him. The Master continued toward his desk, pouring himself more brandy. It's so early, and he's already drinking? God, what a drunk.

"Out with the old, in with the new." Alfrid sang lightly. His teeth were yellowing, and all out of place.

"What?" The Master spluttered, surprised at the phrase coming from his "faithful servant's" lips.

"That's what they've been saying sire. There is even talk of an election."

"An election?! That's absurd. I won't stand for it." The Master started walking away, and Alfrid muttered under his breath.

"I don't think they'd ask you to stand, sire." The Master opened glass doors and walked onto his balcony, looking over the town. He too, muttered to himself.

"Shirkers. Ingrates. Rabble-rousers. Who would have the nerve to question my authority? Who would dare? Who..." He paused, and the realization dawned on him. His eyes narrowed, and his teeth clenched. "Bard. You mark my words, that trouble-making bargeman is behind all this."

~ ~ ~

I came to consciousness as my barrel was kicked over roughly. Still under some after effects of the vision, I laid there in an almost daze. I shook my head, and crawled out. He still knocked over barrels. He started to reach for another, when Dwalin poked his head out of the fish. "Get your hands off me." I went over and helped Kili to his feet, securing my hand around his waist. He leaned against me.

Everyone else struggled from the fish filled barrels. They all looked greasy and slimy. The dock keeper looked shocked. I felt Kili push away from me, his face showing the strain. I looked over and saw Thorin watching him. I narrowed my eyes. Bard slipped the man a coin. "You didn't see them, they were never here. The fish you can have for nothing."