Chapter 61

A few days later.

*Adelyne*

I didn't care how badly I was hurt. I wanted to get away I needed to get away. Everytime I walked by I knew everyone was looking at me. It irked me. I tried to avoid Daryl as much as possible. Walking out of a place when he walked in and vice versa. I spent a couple nights crying into my pillow and crying outside when I was on watch. But how could I not? Daryl left and he wanted me to just take him back like that. The cool night air was brisk against my skin and I shivered wishing I had grabbed my jacket before I came out. I scanned the area and looked into the woods nothing out of the ordinary. I shivered and let out a sigh seeing my own breath. It was colder than I thought. I leaned against the palete we set up and became lost in my thoughts. I knew that eventually I was going to come nose to nose with Daryl. I couldn't avoid him forever. We lived together, survived together, I loved him. I found myself often thinking about forgiving him but then I remembered that he left by choice and that really shook me the core. It hurt that after everything we've been through with Katie passing, the quarry, the CDC, the farm just everything he still left. I was not caving at all I wasn't I was pissed. And being a capicorn I could hold a grudge forever if I wanted too. At this point I wasn't sure what I wanted. The door opening was what brought me out of my thoughts. I held my gun up ready to use it but lowered it when I seen Merle step into the moonlight. He was also holding my jean jacket that I had left back in the cell block hanging on the one rail. I wasn't even mad because at the moment I was freezing. I looked at him and he walked closer holding out my jacket.

"I figured you meant to grab it" he said.

I took it and slipped in on letting the warmth of it make me feel better.

"Thanks."

"Just don't want you to get sick."

It was silent except for the insects of the night. I buttoned my jacket and fumbled for the pack of cigarettes that was in the pocket. Grabbing it I took one and lit it then looked at Merle.

"Im sure your concern in my body temperature was just an exscuse to come out here. Whatever you want to say, just say it and get it over with" I told him as I exhaled the smoke from my cigarette.

I half expected him to scoff just like Daryl did but he sighed seriously.

"Daryl is really hurting about this"

A short bark of laughter escaped me.

"Yeah, imagine how I feel" I told him looking into the distance.

Merle ran a hand over his head.

"Adelyne, look me and you didn't get off on the right foot from the beginning. Things are different and you're different too. You aren't the same as you were in Atlanta. But Daryl has changed too he has this look is eyes now, that he never had before. That's because of you, he really loves you" Merle explained.

My bottom lip started to quiver and I held back my tears. My hands starting to shake.

"Do you still love him Adelyne?" He asked.

I sniffled and then laughed embarrassed. I walk over to him and shoved my gun at him.

"You keep watch."

With that I walked away wiping away the tears that betrayed me.
----------------------------

*Third Person*

"Where the hell is she?" Daryl asked snatching the paper from Ricks hand.

"When did you last see her?" Rick asked.

"I seen her last night on watch, she walked off and left me on guard" Merle explained.

"And you didn't see her leave?" Daryl asked.

"No man" Merle yelled.

"What are we going to do? Shes out there alone" Maggie asked.

"She doesn't want anyone to go after her" Beth explained.

Carol leaned against the wall.

"Yeah but she wasn't thinking, its dangerous being out there on your own."

"What happens if she gets ambushed?" Glenn explained.

"Don't think like that" Hershel told them.

Rick cleared his throat.

"Now everybody calm down we know Adelyne. She's strong and sly, knows how to survive, she'll be okay"

Daryl scoffed.

"Im going after her" he said dropping the paper from his hand.

In Adelyne's handwriting the note read.

Don't come after me, I just need to clear my head for a while. Don't worry about me, I can survive on my own.
Love,
Adelyne ♡