Chapter 30

[Dan's p.o.v]

*July 20*

     Phil, Mallory, and I had decided to keep going in everyday until she feels better. The doctors told us they had to strap her lower half of her body. They didn't want her moving around too much, as it might tear her spinal cord completely. She just needs to rest when she can.
     We all sat and watched TV with her all day today, making sure that if she needed something, she'd get it right away. There was something different about her today, though.
     Instead of occasionally looking at us she kept staring at the screen, nonstop. She didn't talk. Whoever we asked her for something she would say, "yes" or "no." Then a small and quiet, "thank you."
     She also usually makes comments during the TV show that she's watching at the time, but... that wasn't happening either.
     It was noon by the time she started to fall asleep again. She always looks so peaceful. She also looked really hot. I whispered to Phil and Mallory, "hey."
     Mallory looked away from the screen. "Hmm," she hummed while Phil woke up from dozing off.
     "Ava looks like she's burning up." I looked over at her and back at them. "Do you think I should go get a doc?"
     Mallory got up and touched Ava's forehead with the back of her hand. "Yeah," she said with a worried face. "It feels like she's on fire."
     On fire.
     It rung in my head over and over again. No. It couldn't have. Dreams can't connect.
     "Dan?" Phil snapped his fingers in front of my face. "Are you gonna go get someone."
     I blinked and shook my head. "Yeah... yeah I'll go."
     I got up and ran out of the room and tried to find a doctor. There was one leaning against the front desk, talking to the secretary.
     "Excuse me," I say, politely trying to get her attention.
     She looks up from her clipboard and stops talking to the secretary. "How can I help you?"
     "M-my girlfriend, the patient in room 725, she's burning up like heck." I felt like I was about to start sobbing. "Can-can you please come check on her?"
     She put down her clipboard and nodded towards the secretary. "Ok." she started to walk down the hallway, asking me questions, "are you sure she doesn't look like she's feeling well?"
     "Well yes! If she didn't, then I wouldn't have gotten you."
     She sighed, "when did she start looking like this?"
     "Not very long ago," I started to studder. "It-it just s-sorta happened."
     By then we reached her room. Mallory was leaning over her constantly checking her temperature. She backed away once the doctor came in.
     She pulled out an ear-temp checker [idk what they're called but they're those things they put in your ears at like schools and stuff] and lifted Ava's hair up. Putting it in, she waited until it beeped.
     "She's got a fever of a hundred and two degrees. She's probably just having another one of her bad dreams."
     All of our faces had become wide-eyed and surprised. "Dreams?" We all said at the same time.
     She looked at all of us. "Wait, the other doctors didn't tell you?"
     We all stood there, waiting. I ran out of patience, "tell us what?!"
     She looked over at me. "The patient has been saying she's been having some bad dreams."
     "What about," Mallory asked.
     "Well, she has been saying all morning, before you all came, that she's been having strange dreams about a blurred figure of a man trying to save her from a fire."
     No. No it can't be.
     "She also says that he doesn't get to her in time, and, well... she gets set on fire, I guess?"
     How is this possible. She can't be having the same dream can she? Can she?!
     Everyone was looking at me when I came to again. "Did-did I say that out loud?"
     The doctor was just staring at me. "Excuse me miss," Phil snapped her out of it. "Can we have some time to... talk to ourselves, please."
     She then walked out scared and kept staring at me the whole way out, but I didn't care about her.
     "Dan," Phil walked over to me. "What was that all about?! What did you mean by 'having the same dream'?"
     "Look," said putting my hands up and having a tear fall down my cheek. "Remember when I was sick before we came here?"
     "Yeah," she came up next to Phil.
     "I..." I felt like I couldn't continue without crying, but I did. "You said I was sweating a couple nights in a row right? Well, that was because in a reacurring dream I had, I-I was trying to find and save Ava."
     They both had a scared-confused face. "And?"
     "But whenever I tried to pull her away from a blazing white light, I would always come just short of saving her." I started to feel the tears run down my cheeks. I felt like I was getting a fever. I felt red hot on my face.
     "She would then be engulfed in flames, and-and the dream would start over."
     Phil looked at me, with a sliver of tears running down his cheek. Mallory looked like she was crying too.
     The next thing I knew, Phil was hugging me as tight as he could. Then Mallory joined in a few seconds later. We didn't let go until we hear something moving.
     We all looked over at Ava. She seemed to be waking up.
     I didn't care anymore. I ran up to her and squeezed her tight, not wanting to let go.
     She didn't hug back for a few minutes and I could tell she was confused. "Um..." she paused for a moment."Dan? What are you doing?"
     My eyes went wide and I hugged her even tighter now. She remembered.
     She remembered my name.

A/N: hey peeps!
So sry it's been a while! This excuse has been coming up a lot throughout the story. But school is making me really stressed but now I got a chance to write!😆😆
Also this book is getting really long. So there just might be a sequel in your future!
Anyways, have a lovely day/night!
Later👋🏼