Chapter 3 Voices of Angels

It was late in the day when Pip and Theodora slipped back into the nook. David had begun to worry, chastising himself for letting her out of his site. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw her immediately holding her in a tight embrace. Theodora smiled as he held her then blushed as she noticed Pip watching them. "Pip knows my secret," she whispered. David looked alarmed. "It's OK Lump. He'll keep it secret."

"You two must be starving, you've been gone all day."

"Actually Pip has food hidden the most ingenious places. Been eating all day."

"A fellas got to be prepared," Pip said smiling deviously. "Never know when I will need to disappear for a day or three. Never know if I'll be allowed my meals."

"Where do you get the food?" Theodora asked thoughtfully.

"The kitchen," he answered with a gleam in his eyes. "You might need to disappear occasionally too Teddie."

"Any consequences for going missing?"

"Not really. Only if you don't...know what I mean."

"I visited the latrine in Blue, It is definitely a place to avoid Mouse. The showers are completely off limits."

"Pip and I have our own private latrine, don't we Pip?"

"Brown tunnel is collapsed, but I have a secret way in," Pip said with pride, "besides the latrine and shower aren't safe if you're a little fella."

"You're coming with us tonight," Theodora added with excitement.

"Where to?"

"Not tell'in. Just bring soap and a towel."

"Are you planning to stay up all night and still be ready for Monday?"

"Of course not, you and me are going to snuggle and sleep, then we're off."

"Do they always gong that thing every hour?" David asked as the deep note of the gong penetrated the entire mine and caverns

"Yup. That's the water clock. With no sun light we would never know what time it is. Most folks tune it out after a while. I use it to avoid unnecessary contacts. I'm going to sleep too."

David and Theodora each wrapped in their own blanket, then Theodora slid next to him until he wrapped her in his arms. "Wouldn't sharing a blanket be better?" she whispered.

"More dangerous. Too hard for me to behave," David laughed.

"You can kiss me again."

"I didn't kiss you, did I?"

"I'll show you where," Theodora rolled over. Then smiling deviously gently kissed him behind his ear, then bit him."

"Oh god mouse? You know I can't sleep after that." Theodora felt him shiver. She was delighted she could make him react to her."

"Do you love me Davey?" Theodora purred.

"Not saying, it might go to your head Mouse." Theodora laughed.

"I know you lo-o-v-e me-e-e, you told me you did."

"I do love you, now go to sleep. We don't need to set a bad example for Pip." Theodora laughed then wiggled her bottom until she was tightly in place against David. He felt like he was going to burst in flame from her bottom wiggling against him.

"Theodora, stop wiggling."

"Just getting comfy."

"Just stay still, please," he groaned.