Chapter 32 Harvest Festival

David lifted Ellie onto the forward seat of the dragon's saddle and buckled her in. Theodora was already in the center seat, she was dressed in her red skirt and red blouse with the shirt tails tied and her hair braided. Ellie also dressed in red with her hair braided, neither had shoes on. Susan, Maryann and Elodia were also in red as their families mounted their dragons, the babies secured in back frames the men wore. "Your feet are going to freeze," Eli teased. The women laughed.

"I'll just warm mine on Davey's back," Theodora said. "OK Ellie, you're in charge."

Ellie had her arms akimbo then pointing skyward said, "Pip fly!" With her command the dragons rose and at three hundred feet uncloaked flew around Novi then crossing Turnagain Bay to overfly Bell Isle and Grande Isle and Bountiful Bay. The early morning sky was bright and cloudless. They soared over the bay and across the Sister Islands and down the coast. On the return trip they cloaked and from low altitude observed the festival preparations below.

"Let's fly over the corn maize again, I want to memorize it," Theodora said.

"Wouldn't that be cheating?" David asked as he turned to look into her face. She smiled her most devilish smile in return.

"So!"

"We did that last year," Elodia said.

"And we got disqualified too," Maryann added. They were laughing merrily as they touched down in their yard. Tiny watching them and running in circles happy with their return.

"If you weren't so frightened of flying we'd take you too!" Theodora said as she rubbed Tiny behind his ears. Then Tiny ran off to follow Ellie and Aliyah who went in search of eggs scattering the chickens as they ran.

"Do you think they will return with any unbroken?" Jacob asked.

"I'll just make scrambled eggs," Theodora replied. The men had removed the saddles and given the dragons a good brushing when they returned entered the garden and set up the tables and chairs for a late breakfast. The women had used the raised stone cooking pit and had started on the meal preparation. They were slicing the black pudding for frying and had already started numerous sausages and bacon cooking. They had a dozen and a half of eggs scrambled and were about to add the cheese. Ellie and Aliyah has already started on the bowl of raspberries they had on the table both of their hands and faces stained with berry juice. After a prayer of thanksgiving they sat together and ate.

"I love our family flights," David said.

"How will we handle them with all six of our children?" Theodora teased.

"Some of our daughters may have their own dragons by then," David said smiling.

"What if we have all boys save for Ellie?" Theodora asked. David smiled and kissed her behind the ear causing her to shiver.

"Tonight is the fireworks," Elodia said, "tomorrow the games and singing and dancing contest the following day."

"When is the big dance?" Theodora asked.

"The third day during the bonfire."

"We have special dresses to wear at the bonfire dance," Theodora said softly trying to sound seductive but the four of them started laughing.

"Red dresses?" Walter asked.

"We're the quads!" Maryann laughed.

The dragon riders walked through the fair viewing the many exhibits. Tiny pulled a wagon that held clean diapers, wet wash cloths and extra clothing for Aliyah and Ellie. They stopped at the cannery booth. "Rose your booth is getting a lot of attention," Theodora said.