Chapter 15 Dragon Rider

Elodia was the last to mount her dragon. "How will we know if we can turn her?" Maryann asked.

"We will ask her to pass judgment and she will name her fate."

"I don't understand," Maryann responded. "I don't want to burn a sister."

"Mother Ruth said to have faith. I would hate to burn her too. I thought of a faster way to get there. Instead of flying across the continent we go to my old village and follow the coast south."

"I love flying but eighteen hours to cross the continent is definitely not my cup of tea," Susan said.

"Just follow me," Elodia said.

The dragons leapt into the air rising higher as they circled above Bountiful Bay. Then there was a popping sound and they entered the frozen airless void then finding themselves flying high over the east coast and Elodia's ruined village. "Never thought we be here again Odie," Maryann said. They followed the coast pausing to check the bays and harbors.

"THERE!" Susan shouted, they're going to burn her." The dragons dove and the town's people scattered. Two men had jumped onto fire trying to free the girl. Elodia's dragon simply brushed the fire away scattering it with her tail. Theodora was now hanging by her arms as the two men rushed to her to beat at the fire as it consumed her shirt. Two other men ran to her lifting her and removing her shackles. Theodora continued to shriek and sob as she was laid on the ground. The dragons made a protective circle around her as the dragon riders dismounted. Elodia knelt at Theodora's side and said softly, "What would you have us do with your village sister?" Theodora was in tremendous pain and still terrified. She looked at her village at each of the people who had known her all her life, at her parents all of whom had condemned her to an agonizing death.

"Forgive them," she whispered. The dragon riders were elated with her answer.

"Please, I'm her sister Rose. May we take her to the inn? We have a friend who can treat her wounds. Theodora was gently lifted by her two brothers and two brother-in-laws and taken to the tavern and laid on her bed. Mathilda rushed to her side.

"Sister Mathilda!" Elodia gasped. "I've seen your picture, your one of us."

"That I am," she said smiling. "Are any of you healers?"

"My sister and I are," Elodia answered.

"Teddie has far more injury than you can see. It will take witch and healer save her. I see she passes the test as you have not burned her or the little dragon."

"Did she know of the test?"

"No I told her nothing." Mathilda said. Elodia spoke softly to her family.

"We will do a healing. You are all welcome to stand in the healing circle with us." Elodia put both her hands palm down just inches from Theodora's heart her and moved hands over and around her. "Her feet and legs to her knees are charred to the bone from the fire. Her thighs and bottom are mixed third and fourth degree burns. No additional skin burns but I detect some damage from inhaled smoke. Her right shoulder is dislocated and her back is an absolute wreck from at least a dozen beatings. Some ribs are cracked too."

"This is going to hurt," Susan said.

"We have four witches and two are healers. Have you ever witnessed a healing?" Elodia asked her family and they indicated no.

"We are going to take this woman's wounds into our own bodies. We need you to stand in the circle with us. Help us to stay on our feet and do not break the circle."

"I've seen Teddie do something similar for Mikey," Rose said.

"Good, let us begin with a prayer to the mother god then we will start."

Theodora was in tremendous pain and not fully cognizant of what was going on. Suddenly she felt her body enveloped by a bright light as the pain eased. She was aware of the four witches surrounding her. She recognized Mathilda and was surprised by the love she felt from her. She felt others also around and felt the gentle warmth of their love, her sisters Rose and Joyce, her little brother Mikey as well as her brother-in-laws. The innkeeper and his wife were in the circle and her older brothers, Mat and James. She had never felt so much love as she sank deeper and deeper into the warm envelope of light until she slept.

The four witches were exhausted after the healing and slept until morning. The dragons maintaining a vigil outside the inn as little Pip slept on Theodora's pillow covered by her hair. They all met in the morning eager for breakfast. The innkeepers had prepared scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage, bacon, black pudding and fresh strawberries. Theodora piled her plate with food and several strawberries and sat as she was joined by her family and friends. "Was all that a dream?" she asked.

"It happened Teddie," her brother Mat said softly.

"You and James stood in the fire with me." She saw both men were heavily wrapped covering burns on their hands and arms and torso.

"We couldn't stand by and let our baby sister burn."

"You're dragon riders?" Theodora said, Elodia nodded. "Did you come to save me or kill me?"

"Both," Elodia said softly. " Then turning to her brothers, please let us take care of you burns, will do it as soon as every has eaten." They nodded.

"Why kill me?

"You passed the test and you are not going to be killed, we're sisters Teddie."

"Let's just eat and then we can talk alone. Spend some time with you family. You will not be safe her now," Maryann whispered.

"But David..."

"We will tell him Teddie, I'm sure he will follow," Rose said.

h