Chapter 13 Free

David met with the mine director in his office. "You will be released today David. You have performed well while here."

"I thought my release date was weeks away, June 23rd."

"It's on your capture date not internment date. The empire refers to you as an involuntary worker. And as I told you on your first day here you would be compensated. Officially you were never a prisoner or a slave. We both know that is untrue, but I'm giving you forty marks for your labor."

"That's would be my one year pay as a journeyman fisherman."

"It's enough to get you clothes and a ride home. Yellow Coach will allow you to ride on the roof for half fair or will even pay you a mark a day to ride as an outrider. They will feed you too."

"Thank you. I can't say it has been a pleasure."

"For what it worth, I hope you find that woman of yours. She turned up in the village on the south side of the bay."

"You didn't return her to the mine?" David gasped, surprised and grateful.

"And admit to detaining a young woman. She is free now. I admire you David, I'm glad to see you leaving us. Oh, don't purchase clothes in Sandy. They charge way too much. Nemo Village has a Yellow Coach station and are fish monger guild."

"Why are you telling me all this?"

"I do not agree with the empires involuntary worker program. It is something I am charged with doing. This mine is one of the better run mines. Our workers get sufficient food and we have an infirmary. That is not the case in most mines. Most of our workers do make it home."

David shook hands with the director and received a medallion that exempted him from being taken as an involuntary worker again and his forty marks. He walked the coast road to Nemo Village his heart light. Theodora had turned eighteen the previous day and they would be together.

David entered the guild hall and was given a cot to sleep on in the mens dorm and a ticket for a meal at the inn. He walked to the inn and inquired into hiring on as an out rider. And gave the innkeeper the meal ticket.

"Your name?"

"Journeyman David, fishing guild Taylor Village."

"We had a young woman in here a few weeks ago from your village. A beautiful girl, don't recall her name."

"Teddie?"

"Yes, that's it. She had the most wonderful singing voice and she simply charmed everyone. Said she fell overboard. Was dressed in rags."

"Where is she?" David asked his heart racing.

"She sold me two rubies and bought an entire wardrobe of clothes and took a Yellow Coach for home."

David sat for diner, pulled pork, pickled cabbage, fried dry green beans with bacon and bread. He was sitting quietly sipping his ginger beer when a spokesman from Yellow Coach approached. "Journeyman David?"

"Yes."

"You sir are a godsend. Can you handle a weapon?"

"I'm good with a knife and hit a target close range with a pistol, why?"

"We have a group of young ladies who will arrive tomorrow and need one additional outrider. We pay a mark a day and meals."

"I'm your man, plan to purchase clothing after dinner. I'm staying at the guild hall. What time do you want me here?"

"Sleep here in the inn tonight, compliments of Yellow Coach. I will wake you sixth hour."

David purchased two pairs of indigo blue heavy cotton pants, three white cotton shirts and a black wool coat. He also purchased underwear, socks and leather knee high sea boots. He saw a button cap like Theodora liked to wear and purchased a black one. That night, for the first time in two years he slept in a bed. He rose well before the sixth hour, availed himself of the inns shower bath and was ready and fed by the sixth hour. The travelers assembled at the coach platform at the inn. David's bag was secured to the top of the coach along with the other traveler's baggage. One of the out riders was a man in his mid-fifties and dressed similar to David. The passengers were five young women about Theodora's age traveling with an older female chaperon. They were giggling and whispering as they cast glances at David as he stood by his horse. David just grinned in response to the attention and mounted his horse. He carried a long knife on his belt and a rather heavy pistol. The pistol had a wheel that he had wound with a key after he loaded it with buck and ball and charged the flash tray. It fired one load then could be used as a club. It was a very well made and costly weapon. The Yellow Coach Company did not use the more common and less reliable fuse locks the imperial guard relied on.

They stopped for lunch and a change of horses. When they finally sat for lunch David found himself surrounded by a group of chatty flirting young ladies. The first question after inquiring as to his name was, "Are you married?" David enjoyed the attention and carried on a conversation with them. Their energy and enthusiasm for life reminded him of Theodora. She had never enjoyed the safety and luxury these girls were raised with but she had a determination and resilience that only comes with adversity. The coach would travel through the night and reach their destination my mid-day. The out riders stayed closer to the coach as darkness fell and David took up the rear position. At about the third hour after the forward outrider negotiated a tight curve in the road a group of armed men fell a tree across the road stepped out to waylay them. David seeing the trap spurred his horse forward and at very close range fired his pistol killing one man. Then seizing the barrel clubbed another causing the rest to scatter. The gunshot waking the passengers. David rode to the coach assuring them that all was fine. He said he was singling the forward outrider to assist with removing a tree that had fallen and blocked the road. He stayed by the wagon continuing to sooth the terrified girls and final had them laughing at his 'stupid' idea to use the gun to signal ahead. Unobserved he reloaded the pistol. The drivers and coachman brought out axes and a saw and they cut the tree into a more manageable size and the five of them cleared the road. By the time they resumed the passengers were again sleeping. The rest of the trip was uneventful and the passengers were delivered intact unaware of the danger they had escaped.

The station manager asked David to his office. "Thank you for your courage David."

"I just did what I was hired for."

"You did much more. The driver told me how you handled the whole situation. You really did a service to those girls. They would have been hysterical if they knew the danger they faced. Those were hired kidnappers. Those young ladies were the company director's daughters and nieces. Could you wait here for a few minutes he wishes to talk to you. Right now he's dealing with a group of excited talkative girls."

"David," the company director said firmly shaking his hand, "I just met five young ladies that are just enthralled with you. Especially once they were informed of the true danger the faced."

"So you told them."

"Yes, you were right the way you managed the situation. The truth is important but easier when the danger has pasted. I think they all want to marry you or your brother." David laughed.

"Tell them I am truly flattered. They are beautiful and totally charming, but I am taken."

"Where are you going?"

"Taylor Village to marry one special woman."

"Can I reward you in any way, money is not problem."

"Could you lend me a horse?"

"Lend I'll give you a horse."

"Just a loan. I am glad to have helped the girls and did enjoy meeting all of them. I'll return the horse to the coach station in Taylor."