Chapter 30 Midwife

"David, where are you?"

"Getting eggs for your breakfast."

"Thank you, I've got to run, you're on your own."

"What, no breakfast?" David teased.

"Odie's in labor, Maryann is already there so I'll be busy."

"OK sweetheart, I'm going to visit the cannery then I'll check back with you." David brought several eggs into the kitchen then fried two and then cleaned up and put the frying pan and plate away. The hearth fire was out so he left for the cannery. The cannery opening was behind schedule as they had not been able to get the belts to work so he was going to lend a hand, and as he had worked on the belts in Taylor he was sure he could get it done.

"Odie your seven centimeters dilated and ninety percent effaced," Theodora said, "not much longer."

"Eli could you rub my back a little harder?" Elodia whispered.

"OH MY GOD! TEDDIE, I think my water broke!" Maryann said, "No...this can't be happening, I'm supposed to be helping."

"It's not a problem Maryann. Eli could you run next door and get Walter? I'll get the spare birthing chair."

"We're going to have our babies in the same day," Elodia laughed.

Walter arrived and Theodora put him to work as she worked with both her sisters. Eli and Walter were both healers so they had no problem assisting. Maryann's labor progressed more quickly and her baby boy arrived on the fourteenth hour and Elodia's little girl two hours later. After cleaning up Theodora directed Eli and Walter to help their wives to bed and when she left both mothers and babies were sleeping soundly. "I have enough chickens and goats," she said teasingly to Eli and Walter, "this one is on the house, besides we're sisters."

"I see your home Davey."

"I got the belts wor...you look exhausted Teddie!"

"I am, but I feel high as a kite, I love delivering babies."

"How did Elody do?"

"She has a fine little girl, named her Bea, and Maryann had a little boy she named Leman after her Dad."

"You did two deliveries?"

"Yup, I kept the boys busy," she laughed.

"You had quite an impressive day. Mine was boring. They had the system hooked up wrong. It took most of the day but the belts are running."

"Davey...would you like to take me out for dinner?"

"As soon as I change, yes."

"If you heat the water we can shower together!"

"Give me twenty minutes Mouse, and I'll even help you undress."

"I'm going to tell everyone how naughty you are."

"They won't believe you Teddie, everyone knows you're a naughty girl, I'll just claim you're a bad influence on me." Theodora laughed.

"I like being naughty with you Davey."

They had dinner at the inn, fish and chips with ginger beer. Theodora was too tired for the singing and dancing so David carried her home and tucked her in bed. "I want us to have a baby too," she whispered.

"Tiny, you stop chasing the chicken and come here," Theodora shouted to the dog. Tiny ran to her and offered his belly to Theodora why bent down to rub the dogs belly. The dog moaned and rapidly moved her hind leg up and down as she was rubbed.

"Got the horses saddled Teddie," David called to her. Theodora mounted her horse and called Tiny to follow as they began their ride.

"Feels odd not having my sisters with us."

"They're pretty busy with the babies and Susan looks like she about to deliver too," David said.

"I got both my birth sisters, my sister-in-laws and two cousins to deliver too."

"Hopefully that will keep you out of mischief Mouse," David joked.

"But Lump you know how much I love mischief." David laughed.

"You're always up to something, and I love it. Why did you start calling me Lump?"

"My brother Billy was always tall and thin. You were much shorter and heavy, you looked like a lump standing next to him."

"Not exactly flattering," David laughed.

"I loved you even way back then. I was afraid to tell you. I was afraid of being rejected."

"I was in love with you too Teddie. I was afraid to tell you because I didn't think Billy would approve, and I thought your constant teasing meant you hated me."

"Do you think Billy would approve of us?"

"That night before he died he asked me to take care of you. He may have had a premonition or something. I told him I loved you and I would take care of you."

"I visited his grave on my way back to Taylor."

"We have had our trials Teddie, but I regret none of it. I have your love to sustain me, and in the spring I will take you to the temple and we will be together forever."

"You really want me forever Davey?"

"Longer if I can arrange it."

"I can't find enough time, or say the right words to tell you how much I love you."

"I can feel it whenever we touch," David whispered.