Chapter 27 Canal at the Isthmus

David stood on the deck and said goodbye to Harold and his companions from the 'Jennifer Rose' as they left the 'Pride' at the canal. "We're leaving you here David and Godspeed. Find that woman of yours."

"Where are you going Harry?"

"Back to Orleans. Think I'll retire and find me a woman. Plus I got seventeen grandchildren to visit. That'll keep me busy."

"With luck Captain Sean said we'll be in Novi the first week of May."

"Be happy David and give your woman a hug from me."

David stood on the deck and watched as the team of mules pulled them through the canal. Ships of all sizes were transiting the canal. Naval ships patrolled the waters off the canals. Two of the oldest canals were closed to traffic as they were undergoing renovations to deepen and widen them. The canal he was on could accommodate two way traffic with ease. The canal had a huge fortress that guarded the entrance from the gulf. The blue flag of the Republic flew proudly from the massive ramparts.

"You're officially in the Republic now," Sean said.

"Been three years getting here captain."

"I understand you have a fiancé waiting."

"Been chasing her for nearly a year, I'm so close now."

************************************************

"I'm sick of mud and snow!" Theodora complained as she pulled off her muddy boots and leaving them at the door walked over to the hearth to warm her feet. "And I'm tired of cold feet."

"It won't be long now Teddie. The crocuses are blooming and the trees are beginning to bud," Elodia said.

"I bought a bunch of cherry and plum trees. They will be put in tomorrow. When will they bear fruit?"

"Two or three years."

"So long! You and Maryann look ready to deliver."

"Not until the first week of June, are you planning to be my midwife?"

"Yes, and I'm really excited for you both."

"You have performed well at the last three births we attended."

"My sisters and sister-in-laws and cousins are pregnant. We're going to have lots of deliveries."

"The school has been really impressed with you. You've participated in more births than the other students combined."

"I like being a midwife. It must be something in the water here in Novi causing all these pregnancies," said with a straight face.

"Something in the water?" Elodia asked.

"Yup, and look at me...still not pregnant."

"Did you're mother ever talk to you..." Theodora's giggling stopping her words. "You little tease, you really got me that time Teddie."

"A point for the Mouse!" Theodora said smiling. "I thought it would be warm by now."

"Usually is. This last cold snap is most unusual. We need to plan our birthday party."

"Not in a party mood Odie."

"It'll be fun. We managed to convince everyone we're quads. I think we should rent the inn."

"Let's let Maryann and Susan plan the food, we can handle decorations."

"Now you're getting into the spirit Teddie."

"I hope David is there Odie. I'll be nineteen and still single!"

"Definitely an old maid, totally off the shelf," Elodia teased. That got Theodora to laugh, and Elodia hugged her. "I hope so too."

Theodora was hoping for a quiet party but her friends had other plans. Susan and Maryann ordered an elaborate mix of finger foods and tiny cream filled pastries. They invited everyone they knew and hired a band. They even posted invitations at the inn. They ordered an ample supply of ginger beer, ale and something new to them honey mead. Elodia enlisted Theodora's sisters to help with the decorations and they enlisted in-laws and cousins everyone eager to do something to raise Theodora's spirit. Theodora payed little attention to the plans, she kept herself busy helping in the clinic or the cannery. She flew with Pip at every opportunity scouring the sea for a ship. Every night her spirits slipped a little lower as she cried quietly until sleep came.

"Teddie you've had a stuffy nose forever now, you should let me treat it," Maryann said softly.

"I don't got a cold or anything, so it's no use."

"Is it what I think it is?" Theodora nodded and Maryann held her, "David will come, I'm absolutely positive."

"I'm hanging in, I've not lost hope. It would so nice to see him on my birthday. We missed the last one."