Chapter 10 Taylor Village

The coachman lowered the steps and offered his hand and assisted Theodora to the street. She thanked the coachman and shouldering her bag walked into the inn and stood at the counter, "I would like a room and a bath please."

"That will be a tenth of a mark for both, meal included. Do you have any baggage?" At that point the innkeeper looked up from his book he had been reading and looking surprised then smiling responded, "Miss Teddie, is it really you."

"Yes James, it's really me," Theodora laughed.

"We thought you...it's so good to see you...Martha come see it's Teddie!" Martha stepped out from the office than ran to her and hugged her.

"We all thought you had died or something worse?"

"Worse than dieing?" Theodora laughed.

"Why are you staying here? You should go home."

"I have no home, my father made it clear when I left."

"Look at you girl!" Martha gushed, "You're a beautiful young lady. And from the look of you a woman of means, and your clothes are so colorful. You'll be a bright finch among a group dull sparrows." Theodora smiled brightly and blushed in response to the last statement.

"I'll have the hip bath and hot water brought to your room. Will you be singing tonight?"

"Never miss a chance. Is my father in town?"

"He's out with the cod schooners. Your fiancé too."

"Alvin is no longer my fiancé," she said crisply and walked to her room. She sat on the bed and waited until the hip bath was carried in and filled with steaming water. She washed slowly all the time thinking how difficult coming home had become. Would her sisters even speak to her? She had caused so much turmoil in the family by her songwriting, singing, her lack of proper deportment, refusing to cut her hair, her frequent dressing as a boy and then refusing Alvin's advances. That was the last straw. She wanted her sisters to at least acknowledge their kinship, she did not dare hope for their love. She sat near the hearth awaiting her meal sipping a cup of hot tea, her mind wandering elsewhere when she was joined by two people sitting on either side of her.

"We heard you were home Runt."

"Rose, Joyce. I..." They both hugged Theodora as they wept with joy.

"Martha told us you were here."

"Join me for dinner...please. Oh and bring you husbands and children too."

"That would be too much."

"Please, I want to see everyone, I really missed all of you." Since their families were waiting just outside the inn they did join Theodora. "I'm paying too. No argument Rose. I'm a woman of means." They ate quietly when Theodora asked, "How's Mom and Dad?"

"The same. Dad's always so angry. Mom stays with him no matter what," Joyce said softly.

"And Mikey? He's nine now I believe."

"Almost ten, he'll be happy to see you. He spent a lot of time crying on my shoulder when you vanished," Rose said.

"Mine too," Joyce added. "Why did take off without telling us."

"I couldn't take another beating. I didn't think you would understand."

"I didn't know he beat you!" Rose said surprised.

"With that dam cane of his. He had been beating me since you both left home."

"I can't..."

"I got scars Rose. My back is covered with scars. Billy knew. I thank the gods he didn't try to stop Dad of we both would have gotten it worse."