Chapter 12

Chapter 12

            "Potato. C'mon Violet, say it with me. Poh-tay-toe."

            "Poh-tah-toe."

            "No! Gosh, Vi, it's pronounced poh-tay-toe."

            "Well, I say poh-tah-toe."

            Angela and I were currently jogging the mile in gym class. Three laps around the entire football field? Now that's what I call fun. Not. To top it all off, Angela had gotten on my back about the pronunciation of the word potato. I should have never brought up what I had for dinner last night.

            The weekend had gone and passed with no sign of A. My aunt had come back a few hours after he had left. I hadn't gone back to sleep that night, so I was just there curled up on the couch, watching everything wide-eyed. It wasn't my fault A scared me half to death. Luckily I was able to cover the cut on my face with make-up.

            "That's so stupid though! Nobody else says it that way!"

            I grinned. "I guess that makes me special."

            "Specially demented!

            "This conversation is getting nowhere."

            Someone jogged up next to me. "I heard somewhere that talking while running gives you cramps," Landon said, wiggling his eyebrows.

            "Hi Landon! " Angela chirped.

            I rolled my eyes. "You’re talking right now, so I guess you'll be getting cramps too."

            "I can handle myself. It's you, sweetheart, that I'm worried for."

            I raised an eyebrow and laughed. "Me? Dude, your head isn't on right."

            He scrunched his eyebrows and placed his hands on either side of his head. "Aw, man. Is it on backwards again?"

            I laughed and playfully shoved him.

            "So," he said to me, "I hear you ran into a certain criminal a few days ago."

            My step faltered. "Wh-where did you hear that?" I twisted my gaze to Angela and glared. "Ang, did you—"

            Angela held up her hands. "I didn't tell anyone, I swear!"

            Landon shrugged. "I guess I just happened to pick up on it somewhere." Vague, much? "So are you okay?"