Chapter 15

This chapter is a bit longer than the other chapters, so enjoy! :)

Chapter 15

Have you ever felt like you just asked the stupidest question? Like the words that tumbled out of your mouth that very instant should have been locked in the attic of your brain for all of eternity, wearing those ugly black and white striped uniforms, for the simple reason that they were so extremely stupid that they had no right to be verbally spoken?

            That was exactly how I felt, as those seven itsy bitsy words spilled from my mouth without me fully realizing what was happening. Honestly, the words were not that bad. It was a simple question. What was the harm?

            The harm was that it was not a mere question. The true essence of the question hid nervously, ashamedly behind its shield—the seven words. By verbalizing it, I felt like I was opening myself up; like I was unintentionally giving the entire world access to the fear and stress that I had buried deep inside of me. Like I was asking for help. A way out. Like I was a coward.

            Now, as Zayn's green eyes locked with my own, I was so sure that he was going to start laughing at me. Laughing at my cowardice.

            Any second now.

            Sure enough, a grin as wide as an actual guy living off of McDonalds spread across his face, showcasing his perfectly white, straight teeth. I braced myself. Any second now, he was going to break out in sudden, undying fits of laughter at my expense.

            It never came. The grin stayed, but the laughter never came. Instead, I felt a strong, warm hand rest itself upon my hand, which sat atop my thigh. Warmth began to surround me as he leaned closer to my small frame.

            "Sweetheart," he started, his eyes twinkling in amusement, "I was wondering when you were going to ask that."

~~~*~~~

            Zayn parked the bat-mobile in front of a small, grassy clearing. Swiftly opening the car's door, he climbed out and began walking into the clearing. I quickly followed suit, trailing his footsteps.

            I stopped a short distance from where he was standing, leaning on a tree. "So what now?"

            He sent me a lopsided grin. "Well, I was kind of thinking we could make out for a bit, since it's just you and me here, and then maybe we could—"

             "Oh, get over yourself!" I said, glaring at him. "Nothing of the sort is ever going to happen, believe me! In fact, you're probably one of the ugliest people I've met."

            It wasn’t exactly a lie—he was pretty ugly on the inside.

            He muttered something unintelligible under his breath, and then, "You better improve that attitude of yours, or you won't be getting any tonight." He wiggled his eyebrows.