Chapter 17

So last chapter didn't reach as many votes as I'd hoped, and that makes me sad :( I guess it's understandable tho :/

I felt bad about making you guys wait for another chapter so here's 17 :) I really hope we can reach 400 votes on this one! So if you're reading this chapter, and you like it, please vote! It's only one click..Only takes a second!

_______________

Chapter 17

After I had finally climbed through the window, I found myself in a large dark room. Everywhere I looked, there were cardboard boxes stacked to the ceiling. I walked up to one of them and shone my phone light on it. "Dangerous," it read in bolded red letters. "Highly Explosive."

I stumbled back, fortunately catching myself before I landed on another box of explosives. I was in a room full of explosives. What had I gotten myself into?

Suddenly, voices floated through my ears. Men. And they were getting louder by the second. I scrambled to the corner of the room, ducking behind the stack of boxes. I clutched my hands toward my chest, afraid that I was accidentally going to knock one of the boxes over and have it blow my head off.

A rumbling echo resonated throughout the room as the doors opened and three pairs of footsteps sounded against the floor.

"Here are the explosives, Boss."

"We got the best ones, Boss, imported from Taiwan." I recognized two voices as belonging to the men that I saw outside the warehouse.

A cold, gravelly voice answered them. "I assume this cost you much, then." Every time this man spoke, shivers ran up my spine. And not the good kind.

"Not exactly, Boss. We took two girls from the club tonight and, well, it's a long story. Let's just say that it didn't cost you a dime." Were they talking about Mustard Teeth and Onion Breath?

"Good, good. Now, where is my boy. He also has something of mine."

"I'm not a fucking boy, and what I have does not belong to you," a velvety, melodic voice growled. I almost punched the box of explosives in front of me in surprise. It was him. It was A. As the thought sunk into my mind-the thought of A being in the same room as me-my heartbeat quickened, just a little.

Just kidding, my heart was racing like a jewelry thief running from the fifty cops. I wanted to peek out from behind the boxes, just to confirm that he was here. Should I be feeling safer now that A is here, or even more scared?

"Ah, A, good to see you," the Boss mused. "I assume you have it then?"

Instead of a verbal response, there was a high-pitched clanging sound, like sound a necklace makes when the chains rub against each other. My guess was that A had pulled out the emerald necklace.

"A lovely necklace, it is. May it see it?"

More high-pitched clanging. A must have given the Boss the necklace.

There was silence. I stayed completely still in my little corner, afraid that if I moved an inch they would hear me.

"How does it open?" the gravelly voice finally filled the silence.

"I don't know," said A's velvety voice. Such a contrast-gravelly and velvety. Both voices terrified me to no end, but A's voice made heat pool deep in my belly. I couldn't control it.

"Boss, let us try." There was a sharp sound of a blade. "We'll open it-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU BLUBBERING IDIOTS." I slapped a hand over my own mouth to cover the whimper that had rose in my throat. Then, to A, he said slowly, "How the fuck do I open it?"

"How the fuck am I supposed to know?" A growled menacingly. "You told me to get the damn thing. Not to figure out its fucking pass code. Now I want my end of the deal."

I gulped. This was getting intense.

I prepared myself to hear another terrifying comeback by the Boss, when suddenly, my butt started vibrating. It took me a second to realize that it wasn't my butt, but my phone that was vibrating, and when I finally realized that, I stumbled wildly for my phone, pressing the "Decline Call" button when I got it in my hand.

The next few seconds were so silent that I didn't dare to breathe. With the speed that my heart was going, though, I was almost sure that they would be able to find me.

Then, the Boss's gravelly voice hissed, "What was that?"

Oh dear lord.

"That was my cell phone," A's smooth voice said calmly. "I must've forgotten to turn the ringer on silent."

Cue the jaw drop.

A few seconds of silence passed. Then, "Find out how it opens. Then come find me." There was the clanging sound again, and then footsteps sounding against the floor, getting softer and softer as they got farther and farther.

I stayed in my spot, crouched behind boxes of explosives, quiet as a sleeping cat. My ears strained to hear any sound in the room. Had they all gone?

They must have. I couldn't hear anything.

Slowly, I began to rise from my crouched position, eager to stretch my legs and get out of the this place. However, my limbs froze and my throat constricted when I felt hot air against my neck.

The heating vents, maybe?

In the span of the next 3 seconds, I learned that it was not hot air against my neck, but hot breath. "I found you, Cupcake."

___________________

Please remember to vote! :) Next chapter will be up in about a week.